Linux Mint dual boot with windows 10

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,995 times. The latest Post () was by daniel.

• Official Post

I've just finished installing Linux Mint as a dual boot on my third PC (for experimental purposes) and was trying to figure out how to remove the password, or at least to stop the system from asking for it at every step, which is very annoying.

I found this Linux Mint forum and was quite shocked at the arrogance of the replies, not to mention the rudeness.

Anyway, the way to do it is by:

Open terminal

type:

sudo visudo

(enter password)

scroll to bottom

Type:

<username> ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

CTRL+X TO SAVE

Hit Y then enter

This stops the password prompts every time you want to do some admin work.

• I am a Linux dolt, but I don't think there is anything you can do with Linux that can't be done with Windows. There several things Windows will do better, and some that Linux won't do at all.

One big plus for Linux is security and another is a much smaller "footprint" which leads to a less demanding operating system. This might allow older systems to run better under Linux. In the end, I guess your decision would depend on how you plan to use it.

Personally, I need it to run my games. If it can't do that equally well, then I have no use for it.

• Official Post

I agree, Richard. For gaming, it's Windows hands down, which is why I've installed it on my third PC which is only used for video capture.

Here's a Quora discussion on this subject.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Linux-better-than-Windows-in-2019

Edit

I couldn't choose the native resolution of the monitor which is a 21" LCD and since the AMD Catalyst drivers won't run on this version/kernel of Linux Mint Cinnamon 19, I had to force a custom resolution of 1680 x 1050 over the default 1024 x 768.

It was a tedious process, but I learned a lot about using the terminal along the way.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/inde…esolution-ubuntu-desktop/

• https://davescomputertips.com/…-to-edit-linux-pw-prompt/ Did a forum article on this awhile back.

To keep Windows and Linux timed synced this three commands can be used.

timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock

(The 1 will disable rtc time and change Linux to use local time)

timedatectl

(This will check to see if rtc time is enabled)

timedatectl set-local-rtc 0 --adjust-system-clock

(This will set Linx back to rtc time)

Windows uses local time and Linux uses Real Time, I find it easier to change Linux time by using the command line.

For setting Locales use this command

sudo locale-gen --purge --no-archive

For Grub update use this Command

sudo update-grub

And the commands I use the is most

sudo app-get update

sudo app-get dist-upgrade

sudo app-get autoclean

I have Linux Mint installed on a 120GB SSD and use it to boot the PC. No telling how many good PC's have been trashed because of Windows and users not wanting to try and learn Linux. I find it not a case of which is better, but if one is able to run older hardware and software with Windows then Linux will give one a chance to run an updated OS , and it is free.