Church of Scotland in Bs As

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,678 times. The latest Post () was by serafina.

• Lengthy but interesting Wikipedia explanation, GlasgowJohn. Thank you.

Who knew there could be such an uproar over the Anglican Book of Common Prayer? But then, a look back into history reminds us of the Council of Nicea in 325, and we can remember the ferocity of disagreements over wording.

I asked about how the Church of Scotland differs from the Presbyterian Church because I’m reading a lengthy book that deals with various aspects, including religion, of the history of Russia. Reading about the violence among differing factions within the Russian Orthodox Church caused me to think of all the similar strong feelings when new churches are formed through disagreements over dogma, liturgy, hierarchy or simply form.

• Apart from the Church of Scotland , mainly a middle of the road Presbyterian church , there is also the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland , which is quite an "interesting" church to study ....

Wikipedia is again our friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…terian_Church_of_Scotland

As UK Man says religion is quite a complex subject in Scotland.

The only think I will say about the Wee Frees as they are called , is that they don not akllow you to drink alcohol on a Sunday.

There are some towns in Scotland where this is still the case today , thankfully not too many...

• My grandmother used to talk about the 'Wee Frees' . They did indeed have a reputation for being very strict especially in the Outer Hebrides. Not sure if they've changed a lot but I suspect they've had no other choice but to.

• I have been in the Church of Scotland in Belgrano Avenue.Very nice church, designed by the same architect who designed the Anglican Cathedral, in downtown. Both buildings were of 1826-1827, an outcome of an agreement with the UK that allowed us to build a Catholic Church in England and allowed the Scots and English to build their own churches. The interesting thing is that this agreement was signed before the legal practice of Roman Catholicism in England, fostered nothing less than the Duke of Wellington in 1830.

The few argentineans living in England never built a Catholic Church, but the Scots and the English have had the money to do that. In fact, the first British immigrants were the Scots, and then came a few number of Englishmen mainly dedicated to trade and commerce. The Scots were good for farming, cattle & sheep breeding.

I think that both buildings are declared Argentine Historical National Monuments and then protected by law. The Centennial tower in Retiro, another beautiful gem, is a National Historical Monument as well.