It ain't half cold....brrrrrrrrr!!

There are 52 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,830 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Another chilly one today and the constant wind which has been with us for days isn't helping. I even had to look out my thermal jacket to go out yesterday....first time in eleven years I've had it on.

No frost as yet in town but yesterday out at the countryside place we noticed there had been some frost damage to the plants. This Friday night is supposed to get down to -4c. 8|

That's nothing compared to what I was used to back in Scotland of course. Think I've become a bit of a softy since coming to live here....or maybe it's just my advancing years. ^^ I seem to recall my first couple of winters here were pretty cold so it's probably not unusual....and the wife told me she remembers it snowing in years gone by. Is it chilly in the capital?

• Its so funny to see how u over time change to temperatures.....I have always been an extreme cold lover....used to just wear t-shirt all year round when just doing small walks or so. Also when going to pubs and bars, never brought jacket! Now after 9 year here, I actually bring a extra shirt or jacket when temps look to go below 18c or so.....how gay is that??? ^^

I visited Lappland many times, north of polar circle....I remember the lowest I experienced there was -54c.....that's what u call cold........!!!

• We are always surprised to see that other people in BsAs are wrapped up in insulated jackets and scarves, when we are wearing just long-sleeved cotton shirts or maybe a light sweater.

But by contrast, when the weather is hot and the sun is beating down on our skin, we would REALLLY stand out as foreigners if we wore the hats that we wear in countries that have more concern for protection from UV rays. We do wear UV protective sunglasses, something only CFK seems to wear in Argentina. But as serafina says, people from northern countries are never going to blend in with locals anyway. 8)

• The most funny is when u see boludas, waiting for the bus....wrapped up like it's Tierra del fuego, just fooled by the news that say it's gonna b cold.....and then the cold didn't come, and they don't notice.....so funny!!! I always open the door and check in person before I exit my house.....

• Official Post

The most funny is when u see boludas, waiting for the bus....wrapped up like it's Tierra del fuego, just fooled by the news that say it's gonna b cold.....and then the cold didn't come, and they don't notice.....so funny!!! I always open the door and check in person before I exit my house.....

This reminds me of one episode with my husband. We had to go somewhere and we had checked the weather forecast on the day before, saying it was going to be cloudy but not rainy. Well; it’s time to go out and there is a drizzle, we walk two blocks and I tell me “I think it is going to rain for a while...”. He takes out his phone and says ‘the app yesterday said it wasn’t going to rain today. And it still says so!’

I told him: whatever the app says, can we agree it is indeed raining right now?! 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Well I've just been out in the garden wearing a thick Shetland wool jumper and it's still bloody freezing because of the ruddy wind!! Molly our Jack Russel terrier who is an outside dog has her coat on and is seeking out a sunny spot to lie down in while the other three dogs who are softies raced back inside as soon as the door was open.

Seemingly this cold spell will end next week with temperatures reaching a balmy 18c.

• Well I've just been out in the garden wearing a thick Shetland wool jumper and it's still bloody freezing because of the ruddy wind!! Molly our Jack Russel terrier who is an outside dog has her coat on and is seeking out a sunny spot to lie down in while the other three dogs who are softies raced back inside as soon as the door was open.

Seemingly this cold spell will end next week with temperatures reaching a balmy 18c.

Argentina have managed to fuck up what evolution have done to mankind and animals over millions of years...:D

• Although 0c at the mo it felt not too bad when I popped out into the garden with the dogs while the breakfast kettle boiled. No doubt the ruddy wind will get up later to cancel out any benefit the sun might bring.

To get down to -5c tonight and I have to get out of bed at 5.30am tomorrow morning. :cursing:

• UK Man .....where do you live if I may ask?

I live in TIGRE, in the city, and here it also gets a lot colder than in Buenos Aires, even that it's just 35 km away. ("A lot": like maybe 5c difference sometimes). By luck that also accounts in the summer, where it cools down much more than in the city at nightime.

• It's nippy yeah, but still not the coldest I have been this year. I was in the UK during the first week of May and I think it dipped to -5 in the nights that week. It has never been properly cold for me in Argentina, I know it is a bit fresh for sure, but I think us UK people have forgotten what winter could be like there.

• Chivilcoy.....the town time forgot. ^^

How often does the horse carriage pass per week???? :D

I thought chivilcoy was in Paraguay more or less...

I know understand you interest in the satelite dish subject.... hahahaha

• Had an early 6am rise yesterday morning to be collected by minibus to take the wife and I to the capital. The fields alongside ruta 5 were white with frost and any standing was covered in ice. Quite a sight especially with the low rising sun in the distance and patches of mist hanging about.

By the time we got to the capital the temperature had risen however it was still very cold in the shadows. Twas a great day out. Apart from when we arrived at the apartment only to find the missus had forgotten to bring the keys!! The concierge had to call a locksmith for us....2800 pesos of unnecessary expense. I told her not to worry blame the old age. ;)

• Just checked weather forecast.....

Seems like the single digit temperatures are over for the next several days more or less......was this it???? (In Buenos Aires).

I'm heating my hole house with a huge fireplace, and by temps above 10c or, there is just no really need for lighting it up, unless it's for the cozyness......

On top it's a cost factor....when it's on 24/7, during the cold months I have some 1000 peso cost per week....

• Central heating went kaput on Thursday night.

Couldn't happen at a worst time / coldest weekend of the year and long weeeknd.

Finally got a plumber to come and look at the boiler late yesterday - Its the water pump . Can we find a spare with all the shops closed?

• Our house is around a 100 years old. You just couldn't survive without heating even in a normal winter. The high ceilings may keep it cooler in summer but are ruddy useless in winter.

To get much warmer midweek thank goodness. Must say it was lovely to walk round Buenos Aires all wrapped up in winter clothing. The centre was empty yesterday afternoon.