Leonard Cohen

There is 1 reply in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• I first started to listed to Cohen back in the early 70s and he kind of grew on me, with one of my favourites being Marianne. In fact he wrote that song and many others for Marianne Ihlen, whom he first met on the island of Hydra, Greece, where they fell in love and staid in love with each other for the rest of their lives.

Film maker Nick Broomfield has made a film about their relationship. He knew them both, apparently.

Leonard Cohen and Marianne Ihlen: the love affair of a lifetime

• He has been a very favorite of mine since the 60's, when I heard Judy Collins singing "Suzanne." Then, when I heard him sing it himself, I was hooked. This article centers on his meeting and early life with Marianne. I'm eager to see the film.

The close is excellent:

"There have been many thousands of travellers who have fallen in love on the Greek islands since Ihlen and Cohen first met. The shimmering Mediterranean gently lapping at the sun-bleached shore of a gorgeous fishing village: it’s a scene that creates a timeless sense of the world in which feelings, intensified by the heat and light, can seem as if they will last for ever. Most often, they burn out and remain only as embers in the memory. But with Marianne and Leonard they had a long and meaningful afterlife in their own thoughts, in his songs and now in Broomfield’s richly poignant elegy."