Mercosur - EU trade agreement signed today

There are 53 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,080 times. The latest Post () was by Carlos.

• Official Post

Current pro-tempore president of Mercosur, our prez. M. Macri, with the support of Brazilian president Mr. Bolsonaro, finally made it and signed the EU-Mercosur agreement which has been sought after for 20 years.

The European Union and Mercosur reached today a political agreement for an ambitious, balanced and comprehensive trade agreement. The new trade framework - part of a wider Association Agreement between the two regions – will consolidate a strategic political and economic partnership and create significant opportunities for sustainable growth on both sides, while respecting the environment and preserving interests of EU consumers and sensitive economic sectors.

It looks like British tea will still be off limits, but you can drink your sorrow in the finest Scottish whiskey!

8)

• Official Post

Glad you posted this. I saw it announced earlier and can only see positives coming from it. The usual suspects prevented this from happening years ago. :thumbdown:

Many are taking this as the announcement of the apocalypse. I think this was a key move during Macri political campaign. I also think it is a smart move to avoid being stuck between the China-US commercial war.

• I see the whole agreement as very good for the countries of the Mercosur.

As it is usual in politics, the CFK-Fernandez politicians said that this will destroy jobs in Argentina, that is because they pursued the agreement before and they did not reach success.

It is like the story of the Fox and the Grapes.

Now we need another agreement with the UK if they finally quit the European Union.

• I see the whole agreement as very good for the countries of the Mercosur.

As it is usual in politics, the CFK-Fernandez politicians said that this will destroy jobs in Argentina, that is because they pursued the agreement before and they did not reach success.

It is like the story of the Fox and the Grapes.

Now we need another agreement with the UK if they finally quit the European Union.

Yep safeguarding jobs is all well and good if the quality and price of domestically produced products are competitive....which is rarely the case here sadly. Great if you're after votes but disastrous in the long run for the country's economy.

• Official Post

Ámbito Financero published further details in this article.

• I want gadgets!

I want more choice of imported pipe tobacco at reasonable prices....some British tea and HP Sauce would also be nice.

To be honest if it puts and end to the inflated prices for all imported goods I'll be happy. Might even mean we can receive goodie bags from home without them being treated as if they contain class A drugs. :rolleyes:

• I will check next time I'm in coto.... tomorrow I'm in the San Telmo branch....

But I think where I saw it was in TIGRE sucursal, (calle Uruguay).

Anyway, it's not all products you find online by coto digital!