Satelite TV in Argentina

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,580 times. The latest Post () was by JAN.

• Hello folks....

Thought I would share a little info on this topic since I was searching for this 10 years back in time with no luck.

Background: some 3 years back I decided to try and cut some of my monthly costs.....one of them, cable TV! I am used to satelite TV from Europe, many people have their own dish to get TV from their home country or other countries when living abroad......here it's not that common.

So I started digging into it and get started....do my first question was: are you able to get satelite TV here without engaging in cable companies and internet? The answer is a big YES!!!!

I have now had my system running for around 3 years and it works to perfection.....no cost whatsoever, either cable contracts, directv fees, internet fees or whatever.....it's 100% free and also completely legal!

So, how does it work? Let's me give u a short description......

If you live in a house, like me, or a pH or an apartment where you have sight to the north or roof access, you can get started.

What you need is a satellite receiver, 2 satelite dishes with LNB'S, some cable and tools and u r ready to go!!!

So technically how does it work? You install 2 satelite dishes pointing towards north more or less, (look at "dishpointer" on the net). The next you align the first to pick up the signal from the satellite 61w "Amazonas".....that satelite sends out the majority of the channels that the cable companies are distributing to end consumers, more than 1000!!!!

Other satelite dish you point towards a SKS, (Satelite key sharing) satelite....right now there is 3 that provides keys for "opening" up the channels....the ones that I use at the moment is ANIK 107,3w and another at 63w.

After installing the satelites 100% in right direction and right elevation etc., You are ready to start installing the channels......that goes pretty quickly when dishes are in right position.....maybe half hour or so.

The huuuuuuge advantage of having satelite TV instead of cable TV is the obvious fact: ZERO cost, nada!!!

Beside that, another huge advantage is, you have channels from HOLE south America, which means a lot more than just Argentina!!!!! Basically you have many of the same ones, but with different programation.....so maybe HBO Argentina show one film, but HBO Brazil shows other.....so you have wide selection....I have around 500 decoded channels at the moment.

Beside that, for football lovers: all games you will find on one of the Channels for sure....if Argentina doesn't show game, for sure Bolivia or Peru or other country do.

Pricetag........right now I would guess 10.000-15.000 pesos and you are ready to go! All hardware you can buy here in Argentina, on mercado libre.

If anybody needs more information or have questions, please shoot me a mail or leave a comment.

Hope this can help some of the penny savers out there in these poor Macri times...(jajajaja).

• That looks interesting.

How much does the equipment cost?

Not that much......u just need a satellite receiver/decoder and 2 satelite dishes.....10.000 peso and u r ready....check mercadolibre...I got a globalsat gs120.....works perfectly, but now newer ones are on market, like gs240 or 280. Then u need the dishes, some 1000 peso each.

Update: just realized that mercadolibre have stopped many of the articles related to this, so if you search for a globalsat you won't get any results......:(

Anyway the product are widely available, just need to buy it through other sources.

Most of the receivers come imported from Brazil, so if you visit a neighbor country you just buy one and bring with you....again, it's 100% legal!!!

• Nice idea, but expensive to set up.

Whaaaaat??????

Its a few months of monthly cable TV, and it's paid!!!! Remember, it's zero costs afterwards, in princip! So for me, 36 months now saving . You can do it cheaper....don't have the actual prices, but if you buy a receiver in Brazil or Paraguay, it's cheap, maybe 50-100 usd. Then the other parts is maybe 2000 pesos....and some work. I think it's quite cheap.

Only real risk for future is that the receiver get outdated and you need a new one, but if you update software all the time, might work many years.

• I have a hard enough time figuring out how the two remote controls for our cable network works...so rigging up satellite dishes is way beyond my skills level. ^^ Thanks for posting anyway Jan. :thumbup:

Its really not that difficult, even that it sounds like it. When the satellite dishes are set up, rest is a walk in the park....nothing more than configuration of cable TV.

serafina .....I think that they are trying to block the sale of the equipment here, since earlier mercadolibre was loaded with the stuff, now not anymore! I heard they banned the listings! So the business might be doomed.

I have an old guy that helped me with installing it.....he is a champ, and charged me peanuts.....he also sell the stuff.

So if anybody need help I'll give his number.

• exactly......

First link ok.....but second, guess it's an old receiver, so won't work!!! But can't see the brand and the model.

U also need to distinguish between the FTA receivers that cfk started promoting, only for the arsat public channels!

The newer well working FTA receivers sells for 3500-5000 here in Argentina.

• GlasgowJohn ....

No big deal......two cables from the two dishes, that's it!!!

The essential in this hole thing is to have the dishes appointed 100% correct, right direction and leverage. After that, the installation is learning by doing.

Actually right now you have a satellite very close to the "amazonas" one, that gives you the decodification, the keys, (61w and 63w), which means you can get away with only one satelite dish mounted with double LNB.