US Customs - ignore risks at own peril

There are 28 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,090 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post
    Quote from Semigoodlooking

I don't think there's a group outside the criminal class that I dislike more than border and customs agents. These are ordinary people with little actual power, but within their role they are absolute. I am not sure what goes on in their training that makes them become such assholes.

I have had some interesting times with these people in UK airports.

The discretionary part is what really puts me off because I have no idea of what could happen. If there was a detailed list of what can happen and what you can do, I would be happy.

For example, what was that limbo the journalist was kept in? He wasn’t detained so he couldn’t call a lawyer, yet he wasn’t free to go either.
    What could have happened? Is there a judge at the airport to decide case by case?

Or you are deported immediately but can seek legal help from the outside? Or are you released paying a fine and given a few hours to sort your things and leave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Good question, UK Man. If there’s something to that, the Swiss must surely sail through customs!

My worst experience of traveling through Europe and the Americas for the last 35 years was in Edinburgh Airport . I was peddling liquor at the time in Latin America and i had quite a few stamps from Colombian Airports ....

Quite often i would take a Bogota- Amsterdam - Edinburgh flight as Amsterdam was and is a great airport to connect in. An after a three week trip , it was great to get home quickly.

But one dreadful Saturday morning , I realized that there was something wrong.

Instead of the 3 or 4 customs officials awaiting the flight , there were about 30 uniformed agents and at least 10 plainclothes officers.

Everyone got searched.

The uniformed official asked me , " How long were you in Amsterdam , Sir. ? "

I replied , " Oh , about 55 minutes at the most...."

I was amused at my droll reply especially after a long flight but the Customs guys weren't . I was invited into a private room.

After being asked if I had anything to declare , legal or illegal , they proceeded to search my luggage.

They took everything out and inspected everything , item by item . Shoelaces out the shoes . Talcum powder examined in my toilet bag. Lining of my suitcase ripped ....

They were getting pissed off as they couldn't find anything and I had to advise them . Don't know who tipped you off but whoever was carrying anything has left the airport by now.

They got even more upset when I asked them to repack my bags and leave they way they had found them . About one month previously one of my Uncles , an experienced airline executive had told me . HM Customs can do anything they want to you and your bags but they are legally obliged to repack everything and compensate you for any damage they cause to your belongings.

I never took an international flight into Edinburgh again

• Official Post

Oh GlasgowJohn, I would have pissed in my pants anyway!

First of all, I don't know what weird rules there could be (or could be made up to put me in a bad spot). For example, in 2007 I was arriving at JFK and they decided to inspect my hand luggage. I had declared I had food with me (I think, I can't recall exactly) or anyway I hadn't crossed all 'NO' on the green entry card I was given on the plane.

So the lady started inspecting my luggage and finds two pandoros. She asked me what were those and I told her 'Traditional Italian xmas cakes' (it was Christmas time, btw!). They come in a cardboard box and she wanted to open it. I offered to help but she said 'hands off'. She just checked they were industrial made and the bag was airtight sealed and let me go.

But another time I was arriving in Boston with my husband to drive south to Florida and visit the East Coast. An Italian friend had offered to let us sleep at his place. Naturally we had asked how we could repay him. He asked for a couple of salamis and added 'Don't worry, last year we came home with a whole ham leg and nobody could care less'. So I had completely forgot about his salami. We had two big suitcases as it was a 40-day trip and we had been packing for two weeks, so we had forgotten about the treats for our friend.

Of course we arrive in Boston, pass immigration and CBP stopped us asking if we had anything to declare. We said no, but their dog said otherwise. They inspected my husband's bag and found the salami.

My husband was visibly shaken, but unlike me (the pant pisser) he started being upset because the officer started challenging him and calling him a liar and saying 'so you lied, you lied to my face.'

My husband replied he didn't know that it was not permitted (these were industrial salami, just not vacuum sealed) and the agent warned him there was a 200 USD fine or whatever. Now, my husband is a sweet guy, but don't touch his wallet... he started getting angry and became all red. He bit his tongue, though, and repeated profusely he was sorry, to take the salami, and that he wouldn't repeat the same mistake. Eventually the officer let us go, but he asked for my husband's passport and entered something in his system. Maybe a strike or a note of the inspection.

91hKNkOQdwL._SL1500_.jpg

• I feel for him. Sounds like what we went through at EZE 2-3 years ago when they took our Louisiana shrimp. Who knew they had started enforcing? Anyway, the very unpleasant agent wrote something on my passport too.

I learned my lesson. Have been 100% Saint ever since. 😇