Fruits of living in Argentina.

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,386 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• One thing I really enjoy about living here instead of the cooler climate of Scotland is the chance to grow plants that would be hard or nigh on impossible to grow outside back home.

Our avocados are now ready for picking so today I was up on the roof collecting some windfalls. Our dogs love them so they always get to the ones that fall on the floor first!! Problem is my favourite avocado dish is to have it with prawns which aren't as easy to come by....and they're ruddy expensive!!

Other easy home grown delights include pecan nuts, oranges,grapefruit, mandarins,grapes and tobacco.

WP-20190622-004.jpg

• What a beautiful crop! Avocados are like gold (only tastier). We once stayed in a vacation house with an avocado tree. The landlord told us to eat all we wanted, and we didn’t disappoint him.

Do you mean, UK Man, that you grow citrus, pecans, tobacco etc? or just that they also can be grown in this climate?

Oh yes - what is your avocado and prawns dish? We love both, so the combo sounds terrific.

• Official Post

I suppose you don't get to choose, but the other kind of avocado (Hass or palta negra) is creamier and perfect for guacamole.

Yours is great for salad because it won't get smashed easily.

I do avocado sauce for pasta which you could try if you are short of ideas: you simply cut the avocado, add a clove of garlic, salt, pepper EVO and put it in the blender. Cook your pasta and mix (do not cook the avocato sauce!).

You can add red pepper flakes to give it some vibe, or diced tomatoes or fresh red bell pepper dices for a spruce up.

Avocados are not common in my home country (and expensive), so I became accustomed to it only recently. Exotic fruit was pricey and foreign to me, so I wasn't able to choose it properly and didn't develop a palate for it.

Here I love papines andinos (sort of new potatoes, small, tender and round, to be baked with their skin on), mandioca, and a sort of topinambur.

I like to try out all the weird stuff from Perú and Bolivia found in the Central Market, whose name I will never learn.

I am not a fan of foreign fruit (mango, papaya, guayaba) but I do well with veggies.

More than variety, I love the price of the fresh produce available here.

• What a beautiful crop! Avocados are like gold (only tastier). We once stayed in a vacation house with an avocado tree. The landlord told us to eat all we wanted, and we didn’t disappoint him.

Do you mean, UK Man, that you grow citrus, pecans, tobacco etc? or just that they also can be grown in this climate?

Oh yes - what is your avocado and prawns dish? We love both, so the combo sounds terrific.

We grow all that I mentioned plus I forgot to add the most useful of all, lemons. We have several lemon trees and with them being of the all year round variety means we never have to buy them. The pecans are the most valued as they're quite expensive to buy in the shops.

The avocado dish is very quick and simple. Cut the avocado in half take out the stone then fill the cavity left with prawns and marie rose sauce and a squeeze of lemon/olive oil plus pepper. Some buttered brown bread to go along with it.

serafina yes all our avocado trees are the smooth skinned variety grown from seed of shop bought ones years ago. Some are creamier than others.