Smile, it's grin! (electric scooters)

• I spotted these electric Grin Scooters around my area, so I googled and chatted with their customer service to find out more.

These Electric Scooters have a 25 km autonomy and are available to anybody through the Rappi app in Argentina (it is a partnership). The scooters are abandoned available all over Palermo right now, which is the only area where they can circulate per Grin policy. They are designated for use on bike lanes and the main road, and go up to 20-30 km/h. In Argentina it is mandatory to wear a helmet when riding Grin.

Grin scooters are available 7AM to 7PM, if the weather allows. It is not clear to me how they are remotely disabled in case of rain.

They come with a tag displaying a QR code. The rider should read said code with his/her mobile phone, using the Rappi app.

Then he/she hops on the scooter and with the help of one foot start to move it, like riding a skate. Subsequently, the rider can accelerate and decelerate by using the handles or small pedals on the side of the back wheels.

Once you are over with your ride, you should read again the tag on the scooter to register you're done.

There is a 15 pesos pick-up fee, plus a 8 pesos/minute fee, which makes it 450 pesos per hour (shy of 10 dollars, right now). The reported average usage abroad is between 10 and 15 minutes.

The first 10-minute ride is FREE.

Grin is available in several countries in North and South America. However, in the US people get paid to charge Grin scooters at night. In fact, I saw in a documentary a California surfer who collected and charged grin scooters for an extra income. The customer service agent I chatted with said this is not yet an option in Argentina, so it is not clear to me how Grin scooters get charged.

What happens in case of road accident is unknown, as well. I am curious (and afraid) to try one, before they all get vandalized/stolen.