Teresa May to resign as Prime Minister

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• She will continue to be caretaker PM whilst the conservative party democratically choose a new leader, however I never had faith in the woman. Especially following the disastrous results of the 2017 general election which doomed her, not to mention her mendacious handling of Brexit.

Let's also not forget how she bribed the DUP (Democratic Unionist Party of Northern Ireland) to support her in 2017 either, other wise the 2017 result would have left her out to dry. If only it had.

She completely lacked style, authority and never really grew into the job. In spite of her seemingly dogged stance on her Brexit deal, which was voted down three times, she was a weak PM, unable to bring her party and the country together.

Good riddance, I say.

However, what Britain now needs is a PM clever enough to bring some kind of unity to the country. Unfortunately a second referendum on Brexit will have the opposite effect, but may be the only pragmatic way to exit this farce.

Here's a piece from Laura Kuenssberg at the BBC.

• [ I don’t want to hijack your thread, but a quote in the attached opinion piece sent my mind in another direction. I’m starting another thread that I’ll call “New grammar? Or just dumbing down?“ ]

To be fair to Teresa May, can you name one person who really could have brokered a Brexit deal after the decision to secede had been made?

• I do feel for her after the way she was used by her own party...let's face it she was chosen as a scapegoat.Politicians from all parties should be ashamed of themselves for the way they have behaved during the Brexit issue.

Boris the buffoon won't make any better a job of it than she did. Labour will continue to block his path as all they want is a general election. UK politics in my opinion has never been in a bigger a mess than it is in just now.

• Does make you wonder if we need politicians. All they seem to do is spend their time arguing amongst themselves while people and business just get on with life. ^^

• Does make you wonder if we need politicians. All they seem to do is spend their time arguing amongst themselves while people and business just get on with life. ^^

True. But then we have to live with the victors’ policies.

• Unless Boris starts acting normal it looks like it's his for the taking.

The world is upside down. New Rules: the crazier candidate wins.

CNN makes the point about the democratic validity regarding the closed door nature of the Conservative leadership vote.

On this occasion it certainly highlights their fear of going to the people.

Britain's race to choose a new prime minister makes US system look good

I’ve never been able to make sense out of this system. It is as counterintuitive as the US Electoral College in the 21st century.