Cutting the cable

There are 15 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by serafina.

• We use Cablevision Flow/Fibertel with 100Mb Internet and hundreds of cable channels we never watch. For this we're paying around AR$2800 which seems to increase every month, just like everything else.

There are other players in the market including Telecentro and Claro fibre optic.

Telecentro 100Mb is $1876 with IP phone and hundreds of HD cable channels over IP.

Claro 100Mb fibre optic is $950 with one IP phone line.

Considering we only watch Netflix and sometimes Argentine news channels and football/rugby when there's a major championship, I don't think it's going to be a difficult decision, as we're burning money at this rate.

• In my new place we have the Claro TV , internet and phone pachage.

It works as least as well as out old Fibertel package in the Capital .

As its fibre optic , it seems to be much more stable with less outages.

the TV package is weaker than Fibertel but we tend to watch mainly Netflix , so it doesn't matter really

The boy who must be obeyed gets YouTube via internet and he is pleased that the videos download almost immediately

• We have Telecentro in Capital and I think we have some TV deal, but we never watch TV, just Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The more Telecentro calls us to upgrade our TV package, the more free trial time we get on TV. I think we have never paid for it to this date. We are genuinely not interested in TV, and always tell the Telecentro guy we just want the internet and he/she throws in a basic TV package.

We pay about 1100 ARS for Internet 100 MB. It is a discount deal that my husband got over the phone for some unknown reason. The connection is good, we experience some downtime once per month.

• We have Telecentro in Capital and I think we have some TV deal, but we never watch TV, just Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The more Telecentro calls us to upgrade our TV package, the more free trial time we get on TV. I think we have never paid for it to this date. We are genuinely not interested in TV, and always tell the Telecentro guy we just want the internet and he/she throws in a basic TV package.

We pay about 1100 ARS for Internet 100 MB. It is a discount deal that my husband got over the phone for some unknown reason. The connection is good, we some downtime once per month.

I love this post. Just goes to show that in Argentina, anything is possible.

• Having just received the latest Cablevision/Fibertel bill for over AR$3000, I called Claro on Tuesday and today the technician has just finished connecting us to 100Mbps +phone for AR$750 per month. It's fixed for one year, with the first month free of charge and we decided not to go for the TV package, because the object of the exercise is to save money.

Because of the way Fibertel do their billing, we have until 15th June to cut their service, so we're trying Claro until then, after which we'll disconnect from Fibertel.

I've no complaints about Fibertel, except their extortionate prices and grateful that finally there's competition in the marketplace.

Here's our speed on Claro fibre optic, which is quite tasty actually.

• Do they provide a router, and if so, is it 5G?

We have a 5G router (actually two, but if we want to connect the second one upstairs we must pay more... not clear the rationale on why giving us two devices if we don’t want to pay to have the second one installed) but our new WIFI laser printer (the cheapest laser printer in Argentina, Brother HL-1212W) doesn’t support 5G and it took me several hours of fiddling and cursing to find out why it wasn’t printing - my computer automatically connects to the 5G WiFi, whereas the printer can connect only to the regular WiFi (our router has both active by default).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I think you're referring to dual band routers which offer access at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. You'll notice the two when you do a WiFi search in your house. Older devices only use the 2.4Ghz band which is pretty fast anyway.

yes, we have one of those, but at 100mbps it's hard to tell much difference in the speed.

• serafina

You mentioned Prime and I gather we can now get it here. Do you use it for your European account or did you start here?

Also, I know it's cheaper than Amazon at $2.99/pm, but what I can't find are current listings. How would I know what we're getting?

I can't tell if this page is for Arg or US or both, for example.

https://www.primevideo.com/sto…movie/ref=atv_nb_sf_mv_wk

I hasten to add that we have a smart TV with prime installed.

• I am using Prime video because it is included in my mother’s account on Amazon Italy. She often orders books on Amazon, and this justifies her Prime subscription. She lost interest in Prime Video very quickly and not my husband nor I watch it extensively. My first stop is always Netflix, and when there is absolutely nothing on Netflix and I am dead set on watching TV, I try Amazon Video or TED videos.

I think Prime Video offer in Argentina is below that of Netflix. I don’t know if there are websites where you can browse our Argentinian catalogue to know in advance the available titles.

In theory, you should be able to browse directly on Amazon their Prime offer. Maybe try to access your amazon store (UK) and set as delivery address your Argentinian address. This may do the trick in filtering the video offering based on your geographic location.

• [quote='Semigoodlooking','https://www.argentinaexpats.org/forum/index.php?thread/1683-cutting-the-cable/&postID=10700#post10700']

Splinter

Will fibertel charge you when you cancel, to collect and remove their service and boxes?

[/quote]

We put Fibertel in the holiday apartment, we had one month free and one month paid because they were charging our credit card, then we canceled at no cost. You just have to bring the device to a fibertel location.
    It was really smooth and this was the second year in a row we did that.

• Tele centro has been off since last night 9PM. They reset our router, but the connection has been going on and off ever since. Are they lurking this thread?

The phone operator said the issue should be resolved by 3PM. 👨🏻‍💻