Is Argentina’s fashionable late dining healthy?

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,031 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

I wasn’t able to read the full article because of the paywall. We use to eat early in north Italy, at 7-7:30 PM. Here we are done and in bed by the time our neighbors doorbells start to ring because the delivery has arrived!

I like eating out but it is hard to cope with dining late and getting to bed in the wee hours of the day.
    By 9 PM I am already starving and, hence, grumpy. At 10:30PM I start the countdown to my bed time...

Lately we have been having dinner past 8PM and close to 9PM because we are too busy to cook before. Sometimes we eat on time (around 8PM), but we go back to work afterwards.

I don’t like to go to bed right after dinner as I don’t sleep well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• We don’t like to go to sleep right after eating, either. We seem to be gradually shifting towards a late lunch main meal with just a simple snack around 8, then to bed around 11. In the morning, no food to speak of until mid-morning.

If anyone else is paywalled by The Times, let me know and I’ll send you the whole article. (Sending right now to you, serafina.) It’s interesting, though inconclusive . I just want someone to do a definitive study and tell me the results!

• Official Post

Thanks for emailing me the long and exhaustive article, Rice!

It was an interesting read with many examples from around the world. However, a study on what people are /were forced to do because of geographic location or technology limitations is rarely applicable to our modern lifestyle where we can decide when to eat and what to eat.

Socially, there are mandated times to eat, depending on where you are.

I am always surprised by the amount of people having pizza and milanesa at 4-5PM here. Except in touristic cities, in Italy it is impossible to have a full meal after 2:30PM and until 8PM. You can have snacks (pizza by the slice, sandwiches, etc.) but not a plate of pasta or a steak at 4-5PM.

• In BsAs, it isn’t unusual for us to go to lunch at 3 - 4 pm, if we know restaurants that serve late. But most seem to stop serving around 3. A few open at noon and stay open until 1-2 am. I love that flexibility.

I’m impressed by glasgowjohn jr’s ability to wait until 8 pm for dinner. Most kids are growling much earlier than that.

• Socially, there are mandated times to eat, depending on where you are.

I am always surprised by the amount of people having pizza and milanesa at 4-5PM here. Except in touristic cities, in Italy it is impossible to have a full meal after 2:30PM and until 8PM. You can have snacks (pizza by the slice, sandwiches, etc.) but not a plate of pasta or a steak at 4-5PM.

To be honest we stopped eating out ages ago. The food on offer isn't that great for the price you pay and the menus are boringly predictable. However there are a couple of new places open that do stir fry type food which I wouldn't mind trying although the wife is a tad fussy in what she eats.

I love to cook anyway so I have no problem eating at home....at least you know what you're eating!!

• Official Post

To be honest we stopped eating out ages ago. The food on offer isn't that great for the price you pay and the menus are boringly predictable.

It baffles me how is that people here are paying so many different prices for burgers and fries... it can be 85 pesos or 385 pesos depending on where you have it, but the taste is always the same to me and they always offer the same variants.

I feel you, UK Man! We dread going out to have dinner with the locals as they seem to have an inner sense to go to expensive place that prepare junk food for a hefty price.

• That “boringly predictable” part sounds as if you’ve been eating at our house, UK Man.

But that “at least you know what you’re eating” bit doesn’t apply to our cooking at all.

It's kind of a boringly predictable menu for us at home as well. However not only is it cheaper and better quality, we can eat at a time that suits us. I don't have to put decent clothes on either which is a bonus. ^^

• In BsAs, it isn’t unusual for us to go to lunch at 3 - 4 pm, if we know restaurants that serve late. But most seem to stop serving around 3. A few open at noon and stay open until 1-2 am. I love that flexibility.

I’m impressed by glasgowjohn jr’s ability to wait until 8 pm for dinner. Most kids are growling much earlier than that.

Young GlasgowJohn gets home from school at 4.30/4.45 and will have two or three snacks/meriendas before the 8.00 sit down dinner....