Drinking and Nationality

There are 34 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,164 times. The latest Post () was by daniel.

• It will surprise few that people from English speaking countries drink more than those from Spanish speaking countries, a fact underscored by the 2019 Global Drug Survey. But I’m quite shocked at how often both groups actually drink to the point of being drunk (a state that appears not to have been defined by the survey).

Those from English-speaking countries got drunk most often, according to the report, while participants from South American countries got drunk on the lowest number of occasions.

UK respondents said they got drunk 51 times in the past year, compared with 50 times for people in the United States, 48 in Canada and 47 in Australia.

Chilean respondents, on the other hand, reported getting drunk just 16 times a year and Colombians 22 times.

If you get drunk “just” 16 times a year, you’re on the moderate end of the scale???

I’d like to know the respondents’ average age and approximately how many alcohol units, or what behaviors, constitute being “drunk.” Do they mean having a pleasant buzz, being out of control, passing out?

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/…Fq%3D2019%2Bdrug%2Bsurvey

• I've never heard an Argentine talk about getting drunk and I've hardly ever seen a drunk one either.

In the UK however...

Ditto...I don't get the feeling getting blootered is part of life here even amongst the young. Which is why I'm surprised supermarkets aren't allowed to sell booze after 9pm.

• Official Post

I've never heard an Argentine talk about getting drunk and I've hardly ever seen a drunk one either.

In the UK however...

If they keep drinking Fernet Cola, it is too expensive to get drunk!

We tried to go out to drink a couple of weeks ago with a couple of friends from Europe. We had dinner in the bajo of San Isidro and we returned to Avenida Libertador to drink, but all there was were ice cream parlors, pizza chains, burger joints, parrillas, and the occasional cafè. We sat in one (Pepino) because we saw a long bar inside and two expensive cars outside, thinking they catered to an international sophisticated clientele, but once the waiter brought us the menu, it was all milanesas & burgers, soda, Cepita, water and bottled beer.

Basically, a 5 years old b-day party.

The only alcoholic drink on the list was Fernet Cola. We left before ordering and walked one block to a sort of pub, very dark and showing the Live Aids concert on a CRT TV. Most people were having tea, hamburgers, soda, iced tea or lemonade. It was 2 AM and people ordered soft drinks and food. A lot of grey hair, too! I was dragging....

I was the designated driver so I was not looking forward to drink, but at the end of the night I was SO sleepy that my husband asked me if I was fit to drive.

Anyway, more than an English Vs. Spanish speaking countries, I think it is a hot vs. cold climate.

It is not fun getting drunk in hot climate, I think.

Here in Argentina I get dizzy a lot quicker than I used to in Italy. I don't know if it is my age, the climate or the poor alcohol quality here.

I was actually able to get VERY drunk on beer here, but it was very light. It was a first and totally involuntarily. Until I was sitting, I was fine. But when I got up and started walking, I was blown!

• Official Post

There are plenty of places on Libertador, Martinez, Acassuso - that area - to get a drink, but yes, I do know what you mean. Eating seems to be the priority here.

Adri's lad is 22, in his last year of university and once or maybe twice a week, he'll come back at 7 am. Sometimes I ask him ( I don't like to pry, unlike his mum) where he managed to find a drink at 0600 and he tells me there are plenty of places or boliches as they call them here.

Emily Daniels on Maipu, Vicente Lopez is open till 7 am and there used to be a 24 hour bar almost next to The Embers on Libertador, Acassuso. Many more can be found down at San Isidro Bajo, by the river too.

Here's a small list.

Adri and I don't do that any more, because it's usually way past our bedtime.

• Official Post

Thanks! We lived almost three years in zona Norte, but we didn’t have a car back then and it was hard to move around at night safely. The bajo of San Isidro in unfortunately known for night crimes and on Libertador there is only bus 168. Sometimes we had to wait half an hour to catch the bus, especially at night.

I can’t say I know the food and drink scene over there.

In the city there are boliches along the Costanera and food trucks selling food and drinks almost around the clock.
    In our street in Palermo Soho there is a boliche called Shapō (the French word chapeau - or hat - but written according to Spanish phonetic) and in the previous and next block there are beer places that are always very crowded. We stayed out until 2 AM last weekend with the same friends as before, but also at Cervelar (beer joint) people were having milanesa, Coca-Cola, fries, and only a few men drank beer.

However, try walking on a Sunday morning and you’ll see plenty of cans, bottles and plastic cups around the area. Occasionally, also spirits bottles (especially vodka).

In general, I don’t meet drunk people in Argentina when I go out socially (which is not that much, I admit). The only drunk people I meet are homeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Official Post

Since going out for a drink is expensive nowadays, not forgetting that we are now of a certain age, I only drink on Friday nights. That could be a quick asadito with a few beers, just the two of us (the lad is usually out with his mates) and a bottle of wine later, maybe followed by a Jameson or Capt. Morgan and some fun on YouTube, until we realise what time it is.

Or,once a month I'll go around to a Brit mate's house a few blocks away and the two of us will solve all Argentina's problems over a few beers and pizza etc, but strictly a blokes' night.

On those occasions, I wouldn't say we get drunk, but I certainly wouldn't drive afterwards.

• In summer I buy beer but now that it's cooler I mostly drink wine. Depending on what I'm having I might have a glass with lunch then a glass or two with dinner no more, so a bottle lasts a couple of days sometimes more. My wife might have some but more often than not doesn't. I don't drink the expensive stuff as it's wasted on me. Love having a beer while on parrilla duty.

To be honest even in the UK I was never part of the pub scene and drank very little at home. The odd time I played golf with the lads we'd have a pint or two after the round but that was about it. When I was single my weekends were mostly spent cycle touring, camping and fishing. I used to carry a wee bottle of dark rum to put in my coffee while sitting round the camp fire.

Yes as I get older I too have noticed the effects of alcohol act quicker especially since getting my gallbladder out. So that tends to make me wary as to how much I drink.

• I feel out of it, but I don’t know who Lali Esposito is, though this clip suggests she’s not the winner of the Nobel Prize in physics.

The host was a good sport. He was better able to control his facial expression that I was, when I tried Fernet & Coke. (Is the drink still called “El Viajero” when it’s not served the the classy go-cup Lali demonstrated?)

• I actually enjoy Fernet and Cola, although my first reaction was "never again". That's the only alcohol that my brother in law drinks and offers at his asado, so I adjusted to his customs.

Personally, I like it with Coca Cero (as in 0 sugar). With regular coke is just too sugary.

• Think I have had two or three Fernets + Coke in the last 14 years here. Certainly not on my list of favourite drinkies.

if you fancy a wee bitter after dinner, I would go for Gammel Dansk from Denmark.

But why drink bitters when you have any of the malt whiskies out there looking for love and attention?

• I don't recall ever having tried Fernet. Judging by the sound of it I doubt I ever will.

In Italy, we have a series of bitters that are drunk at the end of the meal to help digestion. Since they are served after coffee (in Italian, caffè), digestivi are also called ammazzacaffè (coffee-killer). Digestive drinks are made with a variety of herbs.

You are supposed to have a shot (or two) like the one shown below, on the rocks or straight.

Fernet is out of fashion in Italy, but Amaro Montenegro or myrtle from Sardinia and the most popular (more popular digestivi here).

i have never seen Fernet used in a drink like here, let alone to accompany a whole night or dinner.

On the Fernet's website they offer a variety of drinks that can be made with it, but I can't recall any I have seen offered in bars in Italy. I am not a fan of digestivi, anyway. I'd rather end a luscious meal with a limoncello.

This spirit is known as the bartender's handshake | The Star

• I usually have an open bottle of Fernet Branca in my drinks cupboard: I don't drink it that often but when I'm in the right mood...

One curious thing about my reaction to Fernet is that other alcohol generally sends me to sleep eventually but Fernet kicks me awake. Several times when I have needed to stay awake through the night I've spent the time drinking Fernet and it's kept me fully alert. I have no idea why this happens.

• Think I have had two or three Fernets + Coke in the last 14 years here. Certainly not on my list of favourite drinkies.

if you fancy a wee bitter after dinner, I would go for Gammel Dansk from Denmark.

But why drink bitters when you have any of the malt whiskies out there looking for love and attention?

I also remember another Italian bitter from my last trip to Italy - Ramazzotti. That wasn't bad either.