Famous speeches

There is 1 reply in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,534 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

This is one of Churchill's most important speeches before the House of Commons. A speech that even today outshines practically anything from the political rabble, except maybe the odd dictator here and there.

It still sends a shiver down me in the certain knowledge that Churchill was the right man, at the right time.

It's certainly worth listening to all of it, because its clear he worked very hard in preparation. I imagine that he probably lifted a few lines from elsewhere and could be accused of pseudepigraphy perhaps. But in the end, he delivers a speech of such authority (passion would be misplaced), that it's impossible to ignore. At least in 1940, anyway.

We're very lucky to still have all his speeches recorded.

• No pseudepigography THERE, I’m very sure. You are so right that we are fortunate to have recordings of all his speeches. It is easy to imagine him as he paced in his dressing gown, cigar firmly clenched in his teeth, working into the night until every phrase, every word was exactly the right one. His sense of authority and his eloquence lent strength to his unbending will and determination to defeat those who sought to destroy the country.

He was the man the world needed. Today, would we find such a principled, steadfast, strong person with such an unwavering sense of Right? I don’t see it.