Watching the dollar

There are 1,021 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 52,130 times. The latest Post () was by serafina.

• It looks like only a 50 point difference. Do the prices at official or even blue rate seem to be fair market value, or still off by too much? If still out of line, perhaps there will be a further devaluation?

I think most that is imported cost much more since December, using the U$D blue rate. Locally roasted coffee from imported beans was $30/kg, is now $47-$50 USD. It will take the next stage of removing import tariffs to resolve that problem.

Meat and local fruit/vegetables cost more in terms of USD as well. That could be the fair market value.

• With inflation falling slightly and interest rates falling as well, the Blue Dollar has been moving over the last two days. It touched 1100 this morning but now back at 1090.

The Pound is between 1350 and 1370

It should be over 1500 to the dollar to be believable. However, we all know that manipulating the exchange rate is not the solution.

I am having a hard time to make the locals understand that self-regulating market means to compromise considering the demand/actual sales instead of keep increasing the price because they are selling too little and want to keep earning the same by selling less for more.

I can't believe people are NOT understanding an waiting for the government "to do something". Doing something is exactly what got them in this mess

• Surely you mean, doing nothing is what got them into this mess? Massa the so-called super minister presided over a Titanic scenario and behaved like King Canute.

I am taking a course in Private Law at the university and much to my surprise, we are alone in the way we think on this forum.

Everybody else (and I am speaking of educated young Argentinians and university professors) still believe that "the government should do something", and that all the dirt that was recently uncovered (half of the communal kitchens being fake, false subsidies, brokerage by scumbags between the State aids and the people's receiving them, employees that never showed up) has yet to be proven. In the meanwhile, things should be fixed as the previous government always fixed things.

They think these news that we applaud are cherry-picked crimes to support Milei's government and distract from his dictatorship.

They also think that if a wrongdoing is true, it will be proven in court and fixed. And I am not studying in a public university!

Have they lived in Argentina, ever? They talk like they were in Sweden until November 2023 and all of a sudden they find themselves in a dumpster.

• The cultural change required and the populist propaganda that is endemic in this country will take years fix, if not decades.

The damage inflicted on this country by successive Peronist governments in order to control the 'proles' is hideous, but not irreversible.

At least we now have a president who is prepared to face it head on because he's not a born and bred politician, as he himself admits.

This speech is still relevant today.

• serafina , I am simply astounded.

Tell me about it. As you know, I am studying a relatively minority language (most people study English) and people who study a minority language (such as Italian, French and Portuguese) are usually also attracted to those cultures and likely to be up to date to what's going on in Europe/those countries.

I guess you can't understand until you experience it.

• My dear husband managed to collect 2 fines in Buenos Aires and two in the Province (again, they are not the same from when he was renewing his expired DL), totaling around 300,000 pesos (272 USD).

That's more than we spent in a month for all utilities combined.

I need the blue to rise faster than that.

• My dear husband managed to collect 2 fines in Buenos Aires and two in the Province (again, they are not the same from when he was renewing his expired DL), totaling around 300,000 pesos (272 USD).

That's more than we spent in a month for all utilities combined.

I need the blue to rise faster than that.

What kind of fines? And how do you know when you get motoring fines? They are not done by post anymore, so you have to manually check using your vehicle reg.