Crazy cheese prices

There are 38 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,609 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

This is the only country where feeding real meat to cats is cheaper than buying canned cat food.

Apart that the choice is very limited, the quality of canned pet food is incredibly low. I used to buy canned food from Carrefour (can’t remember the brand, ‘Pet ...’ something, white label) and served them on a plastic IKEA plate from Europe... the plate got STAINED permanently with food colorant.

Serafina lost interest in the product and so do I. The only realizable non-dry cat food brand is Royal Canin, but since it is imported it is very expensive.

Their ‘Recovery’ cat food for recovering pets was about 2,5 USD per can one year ago!
    And the cat ate almost one per day! It came from the US, I think from Illinois.

Clearly, that’s not regular food, but regular food ain’t cheaper, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• serafina

Spot on, u r 100% right!!!!

What in the canned or dry food for dogs n cats, u don't have the slightest idea....and that international.....so I don't wanna think about what they mix in it here in Argentina!!!! Even premium name brands, I wouldn't rely on that what package saids is also the content..... imagine what an easy scam.....selling premium brand pet food with normal cheap stuff inside.....

So I throw out another idea to u, since u already touched the subject ..: give ur kitty a natural diet!!!!

I have 4 cats and on Belgium Malinois dog, all feed raw prey diet.

"Raw prey diet", is a diet that tries to replicate the diet of a wolf.....the natural diet of a wolf which is 99.99% genetic comparable to our house dogs......meaning our house dogs are basically just a wolf. And the diet of a wolf is not pizza n spaghetti......actually dogs have hard time digesting grains f.ex.....and guess what: nearly all petfoods contain grains!!!!

My dog is now 7 years old and is as Savage as a young wild animal.... All life it eat the raw prey diet and really thrives for eat.

Just to detail a little: raw prey diet is all meaty diet, 80% red muscle meat, 10% edible bones, (chicken f.ex), 5% liver n 5% intestinals. All raw un cooked! No hazard whatever, forget to listen to 20 year old ignorant veterinarian students from here. Dogs can eat totally rotten food without problem...they actually bury meat in ground for eating later on.....don't worry.....they'll survive!!!!

So this type of diet in Argentina is more or less same as buying petfoods.....so why not go for the ultra-plus natural solution!!!

• Official Post

Serafina the cat has always eaten dry cat food. She was never interested in real food. Tuna, meat, pork, eggs, olives... none of those are of interest to her. She likes crispy stuff, like inflated rice, crackers, the occasional crumb of a medialuna... but just for the fun of it.

I have tried repeatedly to feed her canned pet food to transition her to real food but she has absolutely not the slightest interest.

I have tried the cheap carrefour food, the expensive imported Royal Canin, the butcher's meat (various animals and cut). ZERO!

We foster cats so I had bought these types of food for them over the years, and that's where my experience comes from.

Right now I am feeding her Küme, which is a dry, holistic pet food developed by Argentinian veterinarians and that is grain-free.

When I look for Kume (available only through a network of distributors, at the momento), the clerk/veterinarian usually scorns me saying that 'the best' are Royal Canin and Purina. They have learned this by word of mouth and stick with it. It is a pity, because, as you says, they are poorly made abroad, let alone here!!!

• Pet food is expensive and Like Jan I have my doubts regarding what's in the 'premium brands'. We have ten dogs, one cat and a tortoise.

The dogs in the countryside get fed on Sabrositos as well as a couple of meat/cartilage bone things. The dogs at home get Pro Plan and pollenta, The cat gets Whiskas Pescado and occasionally as a treat boiled fish. She's now 11 but still looks like a two year old.....think I'll start having Whiskas.

The tortoise is sleeping at the mo but when she's awake she eats zapallito.

The pet food bill for the dogs is horrendous but we love them all.

• I had same problem with one of my Siamese cats when it was young..... impossible to feed.....would only eat one special, luxury brand of canned cat food in the Netherlands....pricy pricy! Now actually they all eat everything, after I have transitioned, (thrown them out:)), in the garden. I have the feel they get very attached and extremely picky when inside, but much more natural n less picky outside. Now they eat whatever there is, asado leftovers, the menudos from the chickens and and and.

When I got my dog with 3 months and started the prey diet with her, she was very selective....only eat special parts of meat and so on. But trick is just to ignore....just leave the food and don't replace for other. At the end it eat it, whatever it was. Now she eats anything, without hesitation....so to lighten the budget I buy some cuts of meat that is less pricy....for example heart instead of Roastbeef .........but at the end I can see what it likes the most: the tender steak meat that we like too.....but can't afford that.....I feed her round 500-700 gr per day, (meat is a lot water, therefore much more grams than dry food).

The recommended percentage is 1-2% of weight of dog, and some 3-5% when it's puppy, to grow. I have also feed on the upside, since the meat is so cheap and dog is extremely active all day.

• Pet food is expensive and Like Jan I have my doubts regarding what's in the 'premium brands'. We have ten dogs, one cat and a tortoise.

The dogs in the countryside get fed on Sabrositos as well as a couple of meat/cartilage bone things. The dogs at home get Pro Plan and pollenta, The cat gets Whiskas Pescado and occasionally as a treat boiled fish. She's now 11 but still looks like a two year old.....think I'll start having Whiskas.

The tortoise is sleeping at the mo but when she's awake she eats zapallito.

The pet food bill for the dogs is horrendous but we love them all.

ten dogs????? Are u silly?????

Hahahaha

My god, I would be ruined!!!

The diet for my dog is not cheap, it is a little more than pet food.....so with 10 dogs I would b dead meat!!!

When u say tortoise, u mean turtle????

I'm looking for a turtle for my daughter, but impossible to find ....any idea where to get???

• I am belonging to that group, Sr. Jan. Of course no me importa the cost of anything. You have a problema or just bad information?

Sorry to not understand ur question..:

"You have a problema or just bad information?"

It's two different questions or assumptions.....which u want me to answer? (First is a question, second is an assumption).

I'm happy for u that u belong to that group!

• Splinter

Yea rememeber that one.....

Anyway the one that caught my mind and convinced me of how absurd and sick she is, was when she ranted over the stupid Danish paying more than 50% in taxes.....

Hahahaha 😂

• No she's definitely a tortoise. What makes you think she must be a turtle?

sorry I was the believe all tortoise's belong to the turtle definition, but not all turtles are tortoise's....

Anyway, I doubt my daughter will really understand the difference......so if u have a tortoise baby for sale, let me know....:-)

Alternatively I might get an alligator....which is not a crocodilo, because it's much sweeter....

I always wonder why no one have released a few of those in the delta in tigre...

Would be nice..... imagine watching all the hippies run or swim for their life their.... hahahaha:D

• The wife got her around ten years ago from a pet shop here.....more through pity as God knows where she would have ended up. Haven't seen any for sale since which is good.

I feel sorry for her as they really belong in their natural habitat. They don't make good pets.