Falklands/Malvinas Day

• Trying to give a balanced sense of history to my Argentine born son. They get one very slanted version at school . I give him a neutral version , albeit with a possibly skewed UK bias.

I asked him to think about what the people born there wanted....

• In 82 I lived in Spain and my neighbor was Argentine. All our Spanish neighbours expected us to fight and argue.

But we disappointed them . In the bar de la esquina most nights for a beer , joke telling sessions and some friendly political debate.

We are still friends to this day.

• I think its a good chance the islands would be Argentine by now if they hadn't invaded. They just take it so seriously here, and I know its war and that seems flippant, but other countries seem to move on more easily. I genuinely believe there is little reason for the Argentine people to hate the British (English to be fair) as much as they do.

• I think its a good chance the islands would be Argentine by now if they hadn't invaded. They just take it so seriously here, and I know its war and that seems flippant, but other countries seem to move on more easily. I genuinely believe there is little reason for the Argentine people to hate the British (English to be fair) as much as they do.

Yet many Argentines like to walk around wearing Union Jack tee shirts because they think it's cool.

• If you read the Clarin articles like this one, you'll see that they insist on pointing out that the Falklands don't have any signs of Argenine-ness (sic) at all. (Sin rastros de argentinidad)

What do they expect?

Funny that, the UK also doesn't have signs of Argentine-ness. Now that I think of it, Argentina doesn't have signs of UK-ness either. I am scratching my head thinking why a foregin country would not have any signs of another country.

• Clarin has certainly got its knickers in a twist with the leader article entitled "Millionaire Kelpers, and Argentines who bite their lips in silence about their own nationality."

This is presumably referring to Argentines who live on the islands and we're all supposed to dish out sympathy?

This photo is good and it's from a drone video of Port Stanley, shot by Clarin, in the above article.

• I expect Boris Johnson is shitting himself.

• Does the average Argentine actually care enough about this for its to be wheeled out by the government every few months? On the list of issues Argentines worry about, this must be fairly low down for most people, right?

No, the average Argentine doesn't care, but read this nonsense:

In that sense, from the portfolio headed by Felipe Solá, they accused Johnson of maintaining the occupation. “Under the argument not recognized by the United Nations to defend the 'right to self-determination', the United Kingdom maintains the illegitimate presence in the South Atlantic, with the aim of appropriating the wealth that exists there and controlling both access to the Antarctica as well as the bi-oceanic passage between the Atlantic and the Pacific ”, says the statement.

Source:

https://tn.com.ar/politica/202…ca-en-las-islas-malvinas/

Self-determination is exactly what the Falkland islanders have, in fact.

• Does the average Argentine actually care enough about this for its to be wheeled out by the government every few months? On the list of issues Argentines worry about, this must be fairly low down for most people, right?

You have to remember that they have been brainwashed from a very early age that the islands belong to them.

Given that no one tries to give them an alternative view of history, it is likely to stay that way.

Don't talk about the human rights of the people who live there or that Argentina wasn't an independent country when the UK took control because thye dont want to listen.

• I am not a history buff and I couldn't care less about the issue. My husband is convinced that they islands should be indeed Argentinians but are better off being British.

He gave me a reasoned answer based on who arrived on the islands first and who was in charge when the British conquered them.

I don't really remember why with 'conquered' it can't be settled 'they now belong to', though.