Currently reading

There are 56 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,023 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• I’ve just started reading Matt Haig’s The Midnight Library. Not sure if it’s going to be my kind of read, since I’m not big into speculative fiction.

One thing I’ve noticed: this British writer says “while” instead of “whilst.” Could it be that younger writers are letting go of the archaic form?

• Official Post

It's definitely a little old fashioned to use whilst and I think I picked it up from my grandfather. I have been picked up on it before and this article explains the differences.

While can be used as a noun or even a verb, whereas whilst can only be used as a conjunction or adverb. Perhaps I'm old fashioned.

While vs. Whilst

• The grammar.com link brings up another question.

Whilst is mostly used in British English, though way lesser than while.”

In the UK, would you really say “lesser” instead of “less?” I’ve never seen the comparative form of “less” except in expressions like “the lesser of two evils.” In “way lesser than while,” does “lesser” actually say anything more than “less” says?

• I read it about twenty years ago after, I think, about my second visit to Argentina and you just won't believe what stuck in my mind then and still refuses to let go? The washing up.

There's a scene that takes place while an Argentine is washing the dishes. But in the book they are doing it the "British" way with plates and suds in the bowl though I have never seen an Argentine who doesn't load the sponge with detergent and clean the dishes under a running tap. I'm not saying it doesn't happen/couldn't happen, just that I've lost count of the number of times I've got myself into trouble with my other half - and others - when I've tried to plunge all the plates into a bowl of soapy water the way I would do it in the UK. Whatever I may have thought of the rest of the book I just couldn't believe that scene.

• How surprising that one scene stuck with you! I read the book about 17 years ago, but I don’t remember any particular scenes; just an overall impression that the writer seemed quite depressed and seemed not to like the city very well. Because I love the city, I felt at odds with Ms France throughout, and felt that she drew conclusions from superficial experiences.

What I do remember enjoying were her descriptions of familiar places, flavors/aromas, and history. And I remember that, even around 2005, I felt she had experienced a Buenos Aires that had existed in an earlier era.

• Official Post

I read it about twenty years ago after, I think, about my second visit to Argentina and you just won't believe what stuck in my mind then and still refuses to let go? The washing up.

There's a scene that takes place while an Argentine is washing the dishes. But in the book they are doing it the "British" way with plates and suds in the bowl though I have never seen an Argentine who doesn't load the sponge with detergent and clean the dishes under a running tap. I'm not saying it doesn't happen/couldn't happen, just that I've lost count of the number of times I've got myself into trouble with my other half - and others - when I've tried to plunge all the plates into a bowl of soapy water the way I would do it in the UK. Whatever I may have thought of the rest of the book I just couldn't believe that scene.

Although I've now left the book for something more exciting and uplifting, I'll probably go back to it in a few weeks. I find it so depressingly familiar, that's why.

By the way, has anyone tried The Book Depository website? Apparently there are no import taxes for shipping books here.

Book Depository: Free delivery worldwide on over 20 million books

• <snip>

By the way, has anyone tried The Book Depository website? Apparently there are no import taxes for shipping books here.

https://www.bookdepository.com

Yes. The Book Depository is excellent and we use them all the time. So far all of the books ordered for delivery to Argentina (or anywhere else, for that matter) have arrived - eventually. Sometimes it's a bit nailbiting waiting for them to turn up but they do.. ...they do. Free delivery worldwide regardless of order size and often their prices are cheaper than Amazon - which is interesting because they are an Amazon-owned business.

There are no import taxes on books so they should be delivered straight to your door without passing through Aduana. One thing: if you use an Argentine bank or credit card for your purchases your bank statement will automatically be uplifted by the taxes on overseas purchases because the card systems don't know you are buying books. If this happens contact your bank with the purchase invoice which matches the transaction and they should refund the taxes to your account. It's happened several times with us and they have always made the refund.

• I'm currently reading Orwell's 1984 again for the...I don't know how many times I've read it, yet there's a different message in the book for every stage of my life.

This guardian article sums it up very well.

During a speech in July 2018, Trump said: “What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” A line from Nineteen Eighty-Four went viral: “The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

Nothing but the truth: the legacy of George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four
    A new book about the novel examines its relevance in the age of fake news and Trump
    www.theguardian.com

• A little known fact - George Orwell wrote 1984 in Scotland on the Island of Jura , in the southern tip of the Western Hebrides.

Jura, Scotland | Wikiwand
    Jura is an island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland, adjacent to and northeast of Islay. With an area of 36,692 hectares , and 196 inhabitants recorded in the…
    www.wikiwand.com

• This is hilarious:

It’s hard to imagine what a stir “Lady Chatterley’s Lover” caused in the late 1920s when Lawrence had it privately published and began mailing copies abroad. Governments around the world immediately banned the novel. Some booksellers caught selling it were jailed. In 1930, when the U.S. Senate considered loosening import restrictions on books, Sen. Reed Smoot (R-Utah) strenuously objected. Just days after Lawrence died in France, Smoot declared that “Lady Chatterley’s Lover” was “written by a man with a diseased mind and a soul so black that he would even obscure the darkness of hell.” He expressed concern that reading it could corrupt even the morals of U.S. senators, which is possibly the funniest thing anyone has ever said in Washington.

• It's remarkable that Barnhill has remained practically untouched since the late 40s.

I saw it in the late eighties twice. The photos are very accurate.

I was obliged to visit the Island to do Quality Control work at the Distillery

At that time the only way to go was via a ferry from the neighbouring island of Islay. Very much an on-demand service.

A silly anecdote. There are no police based on Jura - a local sergeant visits once or twice a week from Islay and travels by ferry. When he boards the Jua residents are advised by phone and they cover up illicit activities before the arrival of Mr. Plod. For example, the islanders don't pay the annual car tax for motor vehicles - when they receive advice of an impending visit, the cars are locked d away in garages and no crime is committed.