Good news for those over 50

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,494 times. The latest Post () was by Carlos.

• From the Harvard Health Review this morning:

“Aging is more a winding path than a downhill slalom. Changes in brain function as well as your outlook on life can influence the journey ahead. If you forget a name or two, take longer to finish the crossword, or find it hard to manage two tasks at once, don't assume you're on the road to dementia. What you're experiencing is age-related changes in the way your brain works. And in many ways it's actually working better. Studies have shown that older people have better judgment, are better at making rational decisions, and are better able to screen out negativity than their juniors.

“The brain compensates for a slower processing speed by using more of itself. MRIs taken of a teenager working through a problem show a lot of activity on one side of the prefrontal cortex, the region we use for conscious reasoning. In middle age, the other side of the brain begins to pitch in a little. In seniors, both sides of the brain are sharing the task equally. A host of studies in the last decade have shown that the more mature brain actually has advantages over its younger counterpart. For example, in a study of air traffic controllers and airline pilots, those between ages 50 and 69 took longer than those under 50 to master new equipment, but once they had, they made fewer mistakes using it. (Keep this in mind when you're trying to conquer a new computer program or adapt to a new car!)

At midlife you are probably better at the following:

• Inductive reasoning. Older people are less likely to rush to judgment and more likely to reach the right conclusion based on the information. This is an enormous help in everyday problem solving, from planning the most efficient way to do your errands to figuring out why the hot water isn't flowing in the kitchen sink.
    • Verbal abilities. In middle age, you continue to expand your vocabulary and hone your ability to express yourself.
    • Spatial reasoning. Remember those quizzes that required you to identify an object that had been turned around? You are likely to score better on them in your 50s and 60s than you did in your teens. And you may be a better driver, too
    • Basic math. You may be better at splitting the check and figuring the tip when you're lunching with friends, simply because you've been doing it for so many years.”
  • I am 75 and I can recognize that physically I am weaker than before, but my brain functions without visible changes. I still have a good memory and can describe old facts with the same accuracy that when I was young.

The only ugly thing is that prejudices became stronger related to certain issues

• I am 75 and I can recognize that physically I am weaker than before, but my brain functions without visible changes. I still have a good memory and can describe old facts with the same accuracy that when I was young.

The only ugly thing is that prejudices became stronger related to certain issues

Carlos, do you mean that you feel bias against you based upon your age, such as situations like younger people not seeing you for who you are, with your talents, knowledge and experience - - but, rather, dismissing you as a “viejo de mierda?”

• UK man wrote:

Surprised and sorry to hear that Carlos. In what way?

Unfortunately I must tell you that I grew up was educated with a mandatory beliefs given by my relatives that were young in the 1910's and the 1920's, when my country was definitely in the way of progress, just having the Westerns powers in mind, to be like them.

In the last 70 years we became progressively more "latinamericanized", a fact that has degraded our customs and behaviour.

My old relatives, having a Victorian mind, commanded me "to be a gentleman". Now, I realize that trying to be a gentleman in this country was naive and senseless. Look who are those who achieved fame nowadays: Tinelli, Maradona, CFK, Boudou?

Acting as a gentleman, here, would only suggest lack of sense of reality.

• Acting as a gentleman, here, would only suggest lack of sense of reality.

Carlos, I beg to disagree. Your being a gentleman in an environment seemingly hostile to manners and gentility not only demonstrates your own values and comportment, but, very importantly, serves as a good example for younger people who are often starved of adult role models.

• Thank you for your reassuring words, UK Man and Rice. But what is a shame is that neglected ideal of "being a gentleman", at least in my country, is gaining space and influence in all fields.

I suspect it's the same everywhere Carlos. Etiquette standards have dropped even since I was a boy in the 60's. However in other areas they have got much better especially when it comes to areas of equality.

• UK man said:

However in other areas they have got much better especially when it comes to areas of equality.

I welcome all improvements in equality, but this does not mean to neglect old manners and gentleness. I think that the way you behave, is reflecting the degree of your civility.

I use as an elemental code of behaviour the "Rules of Civility" written by George Washington in the XVIII Century.

• I agree Carlos....a sign of the times maybe?

The other night my wife and I were walking a couple of blocks back home. We passed an elderly lady who was sitting outside her front door and she greeted us. I asked my wife if she knew her and she replied no.

She went on to tell me when she was young it used to be commonplace for strangers to greet each other when passing in the street. As was sitting outside your front door on a warm night.

People nowadays are probably too busy inside with their electronic gadgets.

• This is very interesting, UK Man, this week in particular. In Argentina, is it the custom during Lent, to give up some favorite food or drink, or to fast from eating excessively on certain days? This is the custom among Christians in the US.

This week we heard a priest who exhorted people to replace this “giving up” custom, replacing it with the practice of doing something positive, like speaking to friends and strangers alike, recognizing and giving dignity to them.

What is this but the essence of good manners toward others? How hard is it to say “buen día” to people we pass on the street?

• I have experienced these signs of civility to alien or unknown people in West Virginia, where I lived there some years. The common greeting was "God bless you". I was pleasantly suprised.

Perhaps these customs are not in use in huge cities like NY or Chicago. But it is a feature that I admire from the US, a big country.