Checking the "unsubscribe" button

There are 4 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,733 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Anyone who has been on the internet for awhile has received emails from some sites visited; and sometimes have also subscribed to some company or product or news - or even a social media outlet like Twitter or Faceblook.

If YOU have, then you know there is supposed to be an option (within the email you receive) to UNSUBSCRIBE if that is your desire to do so.

But "unsubscribing" doesn't always work out does it?

One case in point was my attempt to establish a Twitter account for myself because I desired to stay in touch with a Twitter Account Member who has a current "news" account thereon.

However, after trying twice to get through the "hoops" - (the "twitter gods" rejected my attempt to establish an account) - I gave up.

However, even though I DID NOT finalize my attempt to establish a Twitter Account, I am now receiving daily "notices" from the administrative side of Twitter.

I don't want to receive these "notices" - so I clicked on "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the email.

But guess what???

A message came up saying that I cannot "unsubscribe" because first I have to prove who I am ......... and it goes on to say that I must past the identification catcha boxes, and also allow for a text to my phone number be sent to prove it is a valid phone number; and etc., etc., etc.

So my next action was to mark the email as "Spam".

But that doesn't work either, as I keep geeing the "news" releases from Twitter.

Well ..........

I guess "unsubscribe" does not apply to those in "powerful positions" - like the the "big boys"; in this particular case, Twitter. X(

• Do these email state your handle (@yourname)?

Have you tried navigating here: https://help.twitter.com/it/managing-your-account?

No; the emails are addressed to my Email Address that I used in order to make the attempt of establishing a membership account with Twitter.

The emails themselves are designated as coming from: info @ twitter.

However when I tried to "unsubscribe" to these unceasing emails (they arrive in my email box every day), they made a request (actually a demand)

that I establish who I am by giving them my telephone number. I will NOT do this.

I feel your pain, CruiseJunki . There are several sites from which I’ve unsubscribed but still get mail. And several that don’t offer the unsubscribe option.

I looked up the issue of companies refusing to honor "unsubscribe" requests.

One has to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. It's a complicated process.

[On their website, they state it is illegal for any individual or company to make it impossible to "unsubscribe" to an unwanted receipt of any email]

However, for right now I am just directing the emails (from Twitter) to be automatically placed in my "junk" box.

So far, Google is complying with my request to do so.