Alaumala to shut down on April 4

There are 17 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by UK Man.

• Alamaula classifieds (an eBay company) informed me today that they will cease to operate this April 4, 2019.

• Mercadolibre now have the monopoly and perhaps OLX should look at their model as well. Never used Alamaula and with asll the ads I placed on OLX, I never sold a thing.

In fact I wrote to OLX asking if they could improve their classification and categories...location, type of products etc in order to compete with ML.

Never even received a reply.

• Mercadolibre now have the monopoly and perhaps OLX should look at their model as well. Never used Alamaula and with asll the ads I placed on OLX, I never sold a thing.

In fact I wrote to OLX asking if they could improve their classification and categories...location, type of products etc in order to compete with ML.

Never even received a reply.

:rolleyes: Where is the facepalm smiley when we need it? :/

• This thread made me go and have a look at Alamaula. I'm a pipe smoker so I'm always on the lookout for 'vintage' pipes especially English ones.

Am I correct in saying it works the same as OLX in that you have to actually go to the seller to pay and collect the item?

As a regular user of Ebay when we lived in the UK I find Mercado Libre a bit tedious to use at times. Having to check with the seller if the item is still available before you hit the buy button is a pain in the backside. The postal charges are scandalous as well.

Having said that it worked really well for me the other week. I bought a pouch of tobacco at the only shop who sells decent stuff here. I hadn't tried it before so was keen on getting hold of some. He charged 300 pesos. After trying it and finding it to be very good quality I went on to ML and saw a seller in BA was selling ten pouches at 216 pesos each. Better still it included free delivery as well.

He was very quick in replying to my inquiry about availability so I made the purchase and a few days later it arrived. Excellent service. :thumbup:

• Am I correct in saying it works the same as OLX in that you have to actually go to the seller to pay and collect the item?

I am not expert here, but OLX is a classified website, whereas ML is a selling website. So, yes, with OLX you have to arrange for a meeting. Or you can send money and arrange fro shipping, but you are not covered in case the seller take a run with your money.

On ML everything is scrutinized through Mercadopago and, as a purchaser, you should be protected.

• Not to mention the fact that Mercadolibre charges sellers a commission of 13%. A scandalous amount.

Doesn't surprise me to be honest. Therein lies the problem with this country. It all gets passed down to the customer in the end.

The retail trade needs a massive kick up the arse here.

• Wouldn't be so bad if the quality matched the prices they charge but it doesn't....even in the food sector.

This morning as I put on my near 4 year old UK purchased boxer shorts (sorry ladies) I thought to myself. They cost about £5 for a pack of three in one of the department stores in Glasgow yet despite wearing them regularly they're still in acceptable condition. Here they want to charge much more than that for one pair!! And I bet they would have fallen to bits after less than a year. :D

• Here they want to charge much more than that for one pair!! And I bet they would have fallen to bits after less than a year. :D

Self-destroying products keep the economy alive. ;)

• I am not expert here, but OLX is a classified website, whereas ML is a selling website. So, yes, with OLX you have to arrange for a meeting. Or you can send money and arrange fro shipping, but you are not covered in case the seller take a run with your money.

On ML everything is scrutinized through Mercadopago and, as a purchaser, you should be protected.

OLX might be a classified ads website, but maybe if they improved their product categories and other classifications, it would be worth using.

For instance, if I want to search for a graphics card, they are all lumped together under computer products, which isn't a lot of help at all.

It needs some finesse.

• OLX have said goodbye to 50 employees in Belgrano and Cordoba and there are rumours of closing the local operation.

https://www.infobae.com/econom…errar-la-operacion-local/

In that article it says

Con todo, este es uno de los puntos que amenazan a la compañía desde que el Gobierno impuso un impuesto a las exportaciones que rige a partir de este año también para los servicios basados en el conocimiento.

What the heck is that?!

Read also here:

El decreto la firma del presidente Mauricio Macri, su jefe de Gabinete, Marcos Peña, y los ministros de Hacienda y Producción, Nicolás Dujovne y Dante Sica. En su artículo 1°, fija la retención de 12% "a la exportación de las prestaciones de servicios". En el 2°, aclara que el derecho de exportación "no podrá exceder de $4 por cada dólar estadounidense" exportado.

• It may be. This new tax on the export of 'intellectual works', such as softwares, is applicable for SMEs with revenues over 600k USD. OLX is worth 1,000 millions USD according to the article on InfoBAE you linked.

I have no idea what OLX was exporting, but I am under the impression that many bigger companies known to the public for their retail operations have bigger B2B operations we are unaware of.

Maybe they leased their platform to be used in other countries, and this falls under 'intellectual work'.

With Alamaula ceasing operations in April, and OLX considering closing business, Mercadolibre worth will spike!

• Not surprising really. OLX and Alaumala are more like classified adds for your local area...of little use to those who don't live in BA or La Plata.

Mercado Libre is far from perfect but at least they're of use to everyone in the country and offer protection to the customer.