Big Brother really IS Watching You.

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,276 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• I read the article - thanks for the link, Rice.

On another issue but somewhat related I think - but unfortunately I cannot remember where I read about it or which newscast I saw it on - the advice given in the report was (regarding the use of Smartphones), that an individual using a Smartphone should not be so quick to trust some apps that Google would like the person to add (activate) on their Smartphone.

One of those apps is a Weather App.

Most of these apps request the individuals location! And they keep on repeating the request in case one doesn't heed the "plea" for including their location.

I know, because on my LG Smartphone the Weather App on my phone keeps sending me a "reminder note" for me to authorize my location so that the weather app will work properly.

I haven't given my location; and will not do so.

There are other apps that request one's location!

The reason why it is not advisable to give into these app requests regarding your location is that, with your location (the report went on to say) there are devious and unsafe situations that can occur if the Smartphone owner/user let's apps have their physical location.

• Official Post

If you don't tell the app your location, it won't give you the weather for where you are, surely?

You can either enter manually the city or let the GPS determine your location.

In the first case, it doesn't mean you are actually in that city. For example, I still keep track of the weather back home and in other places I regularly visit (such as Mar del Plata).

• CruiseJunki , what are the perils of allowing apps to know one’s location? When asked, I instinctively deny permission, but I don’t have any informed reason?

According to the "news report" I listened to (on a local channel where I live), apps that require one's actual location can provide individuals "out there in internet land" the ability to do all sorts of "bad" things.

The bottom line is: It is always best NOT to give out any information related to your location - or any other information - that can be used to acquire

additional information about the person who is making the personal info available.

Most people do not want to suspect or even think about (nor certainly admit to) that there are individuals (and yes, governments to - and yes, that includes the United States) who actively pursue gathering information on trustworthy, unsuspecting internet users.

And it isn't just older people who are careless in giving out personal information; younger, and a vast majority of young people do it all the time.

But the truth is that there are very bad people "out there", constantly waiting to "ponce" on the "trusting sheep".

And when it comes to the U.S. Government, the NSA (head-quartered in Utah) are notorious for gathering all sorts of information on the populace.

No, they don't have to have "tens of thousands" of employees (agents) working around the clock to accomplish this!

With computer technology today, NSA (and other branches of the U.S. Government) can use computer programs which automatically alert staff

according to set criterion and perimeters.

And, independent "bad guys" (completely separate from the government) have this same technology as well.

The only individuals who DO NOT have the technology, nor how to come by it, nor the money or "connections" needed in order to purchase such technology,

are the people who have never any attentions of trying to bring "harm" to others.