Classic cars of Argentina

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,001 times. The latest Post () was by Carlos.

• This was the first car built in Argentina after WWII. The Kaiser Company of the US was allowed to produce cars from 1956 onwards. Then it was absorbed by Renault, and for a few years the brand was IKA-Renault (IKA for Industrias Kaiser Argentina).

Very popular in those days. The factory was built in Cordoba, at that time shifting from a traditional spanish colonial city to a strong industrial center.

• Here I am adding another group of popular argentine made cars of the 1960's. Here is as well the famous Ford Falcon, that our factory built from 1962 to 1990. An excellent use of the matrix and tools, a good investment. It was reliable and easy to access to the vital parts of the motor.

It came in two versions: one of 3000 cubic inches and another, more powerful, of 3800 cubic inches. However, the mileage was poor: One liter was wasted every 6 kms. One gallon every 16 miles. But of course, at that time fuel was less expensive.

• The green Ford Falcon, unfortunately, brings back echoes of its infamous use during the Dirty War. I can’t see one - and there are plenty of them still around 40 years later - without involuntarily shuddering.

That 1960 Kaiser Bergantin looks like a car that even today would be considered a beauty! And I’ll bet that the Carabela was considered a real space-age gem!

• Rice wrote:

That 1960 Kaiser Bergantin looks like a car that even today would be considered a beauty! And I’ll bet that the Carabela was considered a real space-age gem!

The Kaiser Bergantin was indeed an Alfa Romeo design, franchised to Kaiser, that's why it looks abite different.

The Carabela was in fashion with the spacecraft styling similar of the Chevrolet Impala. As you may see, this style was inspired in the Flash Gordon spacecrafts. But the real spacecrafts of that time had nothing to do with aerodynamics, as you do not need aerodynamics in the outer space. as there is no atmosphere.