Argentina elections 2019

There are 651 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 128,230 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Carlos, we are in same boat.......I'm not leaving anywhere.....the mother of my daughter don't wanna go anywhere, and I'm staying with my daughter!

I guess many expats here are in a similar situation.....they cannot just leave!

We will hang in there.....if you and so many other managed, we will manage too!!! But it's gonna be hard......just spoke with several friends from here, really seriously worried about the uprising that could come! Again, best would really be if MM left BEFORE the nasty stuff starts.....

The main problem lies in the political culture. More than 50 % of the country population still see an "arcadian" state the 1946.1950 period of Peron, when he had money to distribute.

And also the unstoppable decadence of moral standards, for example: how a guy like Maradona is considered almost a God when he boasted to make a goal with his hand in a soccer game? It is the same that K voters did yesterday, when they preferred the thiefs, corrupts and lyers than the other side. (Which by the way I do not think that they are saints in the Heaven, but there is a difference).

Look on what happened with Vidal in the BA province. She strived for doing infrastercture work, making roads, sewage systems, providing water etc. etc.. But the populace prefers "Futbol para todos" and other advantages for free. This country does no deserve goog government-

The only think that I hope is that the next president will stop this process before the abyss. (Venezuela)

• I am mourning the Republic. Next step, Venezuela. You foreigners better go back to your countries. Unfortunately I cannot.

The wife and I would have moved back to Europe by now if her mum weren't too old to move. As for the future we will just make the most of it while we're here until a move back becomes possible. We aren't getting any younger ourselves so that might never happen.

Good summary on the BBC website about the country.....CK is to blame for much of the mess. Macri never stood a chance of knocking the country back into shape after she left. Especially with the mentality of the people, reliance on the dollar and of course worst of all union power.

• He ow something to around 32% of the people, the rest he don't ow anything to !!!!

I pity Macri.....feel sorry for him really!!!!

Let the people have what they want.....

As I always say, Argentina a classroom example of how democracy DOESN'T work!!!

Yes a lot of truth in that. As my wife says Argentina only gets what it deserves. I do like the people here but one thing I've noticed is a large amount of them lack maturity especially the males....it's about time they grew up and stopped acting like kids.

• Carlos, we are in same boat.......I'm not leaving anywhere.....the mother of my daughter don't wanna go anywhere, and I'm staying with my daughter!

I guess many expats here are in a similar situation.....they cannot just leave!

We will hang in there.....if you and so many other managed, we will manage too!!! But it's gonna be hard......just spoke with several friends from here, really seriously worried about the uprising that could come! Again, best would really be if MM left BEFORE the nasty stuff starts.....

@JAN, I very much like your positive determination to stand with the Argentine people, whom we admire and with whom we feel solidarity.

But I disagree with the conclusion that Macri should leave before his term ends. In the best case, he has 2 months to take BIG measures and possibly win back enough people for re-election. In the worst case, if not re-elected, these steps could still be a help for the country, even though his successor would do everything possible to reverse his gains.

• Yes a lot of truth in that. As my wife says Argentina only gets what it deserves. I do like the people here but one thing I've noticed is a large amount of them lack maturity especially the males....it's about time they grew up and stopped acting like kids.

Nah, the ladies too, at least up until a certain age. My daughter is 16 and is failry well connected socially. All her female friends are morons of certain degrees. The males too by the way. Largely uneducated but entitled and willing to jump on bandwagons without even understanding a subject they are championing (abortion a prime example).

It's a generational thing for sure and related to the social justice warrior movement. There's such a lack of identity in teenagers these days. I think technology has removed the sense of the individual from them and they are completely lost.

• At the moment I am seeing reports that the dollar is at 55-60. However, any place I check still says it is at 45. Am I missing something?

I usually check with Bloomberg, who at 12:47 pm is quoting 57.2478 pesos per dollar. Can someone please explain how voters could see anything positive in this? That the prospect of a K victory in October would send the peso down the tubes?

• I usually check with Bloomberg, who at 12:47 pm is quoting 57.2478 pesos per dollar. Can someone please explain how voters could see anything positive in this? That the prospect of a K victory in October would send the peso down the tubes?

:scratchead:

This is so funny sorry....I asked myself same question!!!! And this is the start only!!!! But don't worry you can bend it around and blame MM!!!

• Nah, the ladies too, at least up until a certain age. My daughter is 16 and is failry well connected socially. All her female friends are morons of certain degrees. The males too by the way. Largely uneducated but entitled and willing to jump on bandwagons without even understanding a subject they are championing (abortion a prime example).

It's a generational thing for sure and related to the social justice warrior movement. There's such a lack of identity in teenagers these days. I think technology has removed the sense of the individual from them and they are completely lost.

I think the teenagers here show far more maturity than the adults!!

• Official Post

That's if the youngsters even bother to vote. Adri's lad voted for Lavagna and let's face it, he did pretty well. Other youngsters I know of, didn't even bother to vote.

Here's something I spotted on FB, translated by Google:

But he couldn't stabilise the economy in four years and that cannot be underestimated.

The BBC finally said something about Macri's bad day at the office.

• This, from Reuters a little earlier this afternoon:

Argentine stocks were among the top losers on the Nasdaq index, and the local Merval stock index closed 31% weaker. Falls of between 18-20 cents in Argentina’s benchmark 10-year bonds and century bond left them trading at around 60 cents on the dollar or even lower.

Refinitiv data showed that Argentine stocks, bonds and the peso had not recorded this kind of simultaneous fall since the South American country’s 2001 economic crisis and debt default.”

• But he couldn't stabilise the economy in four years and that cannot be underestimated.

Only a miracle could sort out the ruddy mess this country's been in for decades. Therein lies the problem...it can never be normal here.

Anyway my wife has cheered up. She's hoping our next President will not just be a CK puppet and will tell her to F off and do his own thing.

• UK Man

She is clearly a dreamer!!!!I cannot imagine anyone more puppet than Alberto......just look at his 🤡 face....

Many believe he will step down straight away and not even continue to be puppet after winning!!!!

Like you say, the mess Argentina is in, is not a 4 year old mess, but decades.....so it is!