The button hits the Argentinian man

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• We arrived this morning in Ezeiza, and I noticed the following novelties:

• We were not given any AFIP form (neither onboard nor before the scanners)
    • The immigration check was 100% automated for Argentine nationals. Very fast and straightforward, on the same style as done in Europe. You place the passport onto the machine, access an enclosed passage, look at the webcam with no glasses on, and are given the go ahead.
    • After we collected our bags at the carousel, we went through the line 'Nothing to declare', only to find about 6 scanners and 6 lines: a lady was sitting in front of the dreaded AFIP button. If you had the face of an Argentinian, she hit the button, which inevitably gave red, and said, in Spanish, 'Fila 4'. Since we looked like foreigners, she said, in English, 'Line 5' and did not push any button.

It all worked out well for us. Though we had nothing to fear, the system looked pretty ridiculous. We even had a patch with the Argentinian flag on the back of our backpack, but luckily we approached the AFIP lady with the backpack on our shoulders.

• After reading about the infamous button for months, I was almost eager to see it when returning in September, but nary a trace of it. I will say that, button or no button, red or green, we sailed through customs very quickly. The dramatic opposite of last year.

But, serafina , no AFIP form to fill out? That is very new. Not that anyone ever asked for ours, but filling in the form was always a source of confusion and some stress. Glad to see that gone.

Welcome back, BTW !

• Thank you for the warm welcome, Rice. I used the automatic passport scanning booths both in Europe and here (with both passports) and it was so fast! I was literally out of the airport in 20’ in Rome if it weren’t for my husband who was traveling on his Argentinian passport and had to go through the ‘old’ route of manual immigration check.
    In Rome, the passport scanners accepted all European passports, US, CA, AUS, and South Korea passports.
    In Buenos Aires, the passport scanners were exclusively for Argentines.

I think the technology is the same, but the database might not be shared among certain countries, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I wish Argentina and the US shared a DB in the case of passport control. It’s not a problem unless multiple large aircraft land and disgorge passengers simultaneously, but when that happens, just shoot me.