Cristina Fernández de Kirchner: Argentina ex-president faces trial

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• I wonder how far all this will go whilst political musical chairs is being played out.

Will the PJ party wash their hands of her and agree to vote on her being stripped of immunity? (desafueros)

Why is Macri supposedly hoping that she does indeed become his rival in the 2019 presidential elections?

Whilst this may be good news for those of us who believe she is rotten to the core, it's still a long road left to travel.

Cristina Fernández de Kirchner: Argentina ex-president faces trial

• Perhaps Macri do not want to have CFK in prison. This would convert her a victim, and many peronists will vote for her. Strategically, that is a good move.

• This is a quandary faced by people in a couple of countries we might name: is it better to administer justice to criminal leaders, or to give them a pass in order to prevent their becoming martyrs and attracting even more Stepford followers?

• This is a quandary faced by people in a couple of countries we might name: is it better to administer justice to criminal leaders, or to give them a pass in order to prevent their becoming martyrs and attracting even more Stepford followers?

Indeed....hence the reason why most of Latin America is a basket case.

• Indeed....hence the reason why most of Latin America is a basket case.

Not only Latin America. Why were Bush and Blair not prosecuted for illegally invading Iraq?

To be fair to Argentina, they have prosecuted many of the military, but corruption crimes don't seem to figure in people's perception as quite as heinous as war crimes/crimes against humanity.

I think corruption here is considered the norm and that has to change.

• "I think corruption here is considered the norm and that has to change."

Quite right. Most of the people considers theft done by politicians a necessary thing to hold and acquire power. But as far I can see, that is a cultural problem very hard to solve.

• ... meanwhile in the USA, there is a quaint “custom” that a sitting president cannot be indicted while in office. Invitation to malfeasance?