G20 - what's happening?

There are 30 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Splinter.

• When President Macron and his wife arrived yesterday there was a communication breakdown and no ministers were at the steps of the plane to welcome the couple.

This was soon fixed when Vice President Michetti appeared on the scene.

Macri and Macron have just held a joint press conference, looking relaxed together and apparently both couples know each other well.

• Someone had a great steak today, but we don't know who.

Just one block from my house with incredible security for Buenos Aires best Parilla Don Julio

Posted by Perry Economides on Thursday, November 29, 2018

Just one block from my house with incredible security for Buenos Aires best Parilla Don Julio

Whattttt?

• Meanwhile, the BBC mentions absolutely nothing about G20, even on the day before it's about to start.

I've felt for many years that the BBC has a very anti-Argentine sentiment, yet gloats in it's reporting of bad news from here.

In other news, it's reported that Trump has cancelled his meeting with Putin in Buenos Aires, but a report on CNN says:

Trump announced he was cancelling the meeting less than an hour after telling reporters he believed it is "a very good time to have a meeting" with Putin.

Then...

Earlier Thursday, Trump told reporters he would "probably" still meet with Putin, despite a recent incident in which Russian ships opened fire on and seized three Ukrainian vessels near Crimea.

"I probably will be meeting with President Putin. We haven't terminated that meeting. I was thinking about it, but we haven't. They'd like to have it. I think it's a very good time to have a meeting. I'm getting a full report on the plane as to what happened with respect to that," he said at the White House as he prepared to board Marine One.

Then...

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov, en route to the G20 summit in Buenos Aires, responded to Trump's cancellation, saying: "We are flying actually, so far we've only seen (Trump's) tweet and media reports. We don't have official information yet. And if this is the case we'll have extra couple of hours for other useful meetings!"

Quite so, Mr Peskov.

Meanwhile The Bat Times reports on Teresa May's BsAs visit being the first ever by a sitting British prime minister.

http://batimes.com.ar/news/wor…IYsF-ecy4TITpdbSTJTFvpaPM

This is bizarre because we ate at Don Julio today. There WERE a lot of men in navy blue suits standing around outside. As we ate, a big group of men, also in navy blue suits, toured the wine cellar and then left. We asked our waiter, who said they were from Singapore.

• This is bizarre because we ate at Don Julio today. There WERE a lot of men in navy blue suits standing around outside. As we ate, a big group of men, also in navy blue suits, toured the wine cellar and then left. We asked our waiter, who said they were from Singapore.

What a first hand report! Do you think all that display of security was just to shop for Malbec?

Don Julio the best parrilla in Buenos Aires: myth or truth?

• Meanwhile, the BBC mentions absolutely nothing about G20, even on the day before it's about to start.

Out of curiosity I went to check on Italian newspaper. On Corriere della Sera there is only one article, about Frau Merkel emergency landing in Hamburg and coming on a commercial flight instead of by private plane.

On La Stampa it talks about the cancelled meeting between Trump and Putin.

When we had a G-8 in Italy, black blocks (anarchists) attached a police car with a fire extinguisher. The policeman, cornered, fired at him and the attacker died. He is now considered a victim and a saint, there are streets and school rooms in his name. Whose name? Of the violent anarchist!

• Yes, out of curiosity, I also did some looking around and the BBC is covering it with a few articles. I think most global outlets hardly care about a week long build up. Of course, I understand why Argentina has done that. Now that the summit is getting underway, it is being covered.

That's not to say anything about any allegations of anti-Argentina bias from the BBC, which may be the case.

• US newspapers have covered the runup to the meeting, but as Semigoodlooking said, certainly not as extensively as the news outlets here in the host country. I expect that they will increase the coverage today and tomorrow.

At the moment, the US outlets’ stories are largely dominated by mr. trump’s canceling his private mtg with Putin in the wake of his ongoing scandal at home.

What a first hand report! Do you think all that display of security was just to shop for Malbec?

The Singapore delegation toured the wine cellar after dining in the small back room. I didn’t see any doggy bags being carried out to their security, so I’m guessing they didn’t get to experience the excellent steak.

Don Julio the best parrilla in Buenos Aires: myth or truth?

(Is Don Julio the best parrilla in town? It has been among our own personal favorites for outstanding steak/wine/service/ambience, ever since we first stumbled upon it in 2005. As touristy as they are, La Cabrera and La Brigada also serve delicious steaks in rooms with great atmosphere. And Las Nazarenas boasts an impressive 850 gram t-bone as well as very tasty normal cuts. But I expect the A-list diplomats chose Palacio Duhau or Cabaña Las Lilas.)

• But I expect the A-list diplomats chose Palacio Duhau or Cabaña Las Lilas.)

Indeed, Macron dined at Cabaña Las Lilas the first night he arrived. Reports from the restaurant staff said that he stayed for another 40 mins after he was done with his dinner just to pose with staff and other restaurant customers for pictures.

He was also warmly welcomed in the streets by everyday people.

• I think the earthquake is fake news: the seismic activity actually was just trump baby touching down.

Anyway -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/buenos-aires-earthquake-latest-latest-g20-summit-argentina-trump-damage-leaders-a8661096.htm

Is it any wonder that fake news is so widespread?

La Nacion put up an article about the tremor, but this picture is of a street in either Japan or China, purely designed as clickbait.