What does AFIP confiscate most in Ezeiza?

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,981 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

La Nación uncovers numbers and items that have been confiscated by AFIP at the Ezeiza Intl. Airport.

However, it fails to provide the basis of these confiscation: in the comments, readers are speculating that those confiscated items were obviously being brought in the country for resale, whereas from my understanding of the AFIP slip of paper handed on the place, the 300 USD limit includes personal items, as well.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/21…rs-que-les-retiene-aduana

• I have never had problems at the airport here (but ironically have in the UK a couple of times) so am unfamiliar in what to do if things start going wrong.

For example, I never fill in the slip they hand in on planes and have never been asked to present it. If I am entering Argentina as a tourist, do I need to fill in this slip and why?

Again, if I am a tourist, should the slip include things I am bringing into the country that I own, like the newv (unboxed, open, and "used"
    ) iPhone X I bought for my wife but am pretending is mine?

I hold a DNI here and obviously leave the country as a resident and re-enter through passport control as one. However, once I am past passport control should I then return to pretending I am a tourist if questioned through baggage check?

This article shows that things are getting confiscated, which I find amazing. Firstly because I have never had an issue even while holding bags with a generous amount of new electronics, new make up (I am a male), womens clothes, shoes, and perfumes. Am I just lucky? Maybe, but in the times I have passed through Ezeiza without a problem, I have never witnessed anyone having items confiscated or even having bags checked. This alone leads me to believe they are really looking for people with something obvious going on, such as boxed electronics, tagged clothes, or multiple items of the same product.

Yes, we have heard stories of the individual who says they had items taken at Ezeiza, but I often wonder in these accounts if the person leaves out important details as to the why and how that happened.

• I’d like to read the article and am not paywalled, but keep being hijacked to a pseudo Amazon “you may be a wiener” page, complete with typos.

If anyone has read it and can either cut & paste or just give the essence of the article, please do?

• Official Post

La Nacion has even nailed down copy and paste now as it only allows copying of the title, or if you copy chunks of text all you paste is garbled html.

Anyway, this is yet another typically bullshit scaremongering and crappy article designed to get Argentines all riled up about how isolated they are and let's face it, that's not difficult is it?

The point is that the US$300 limit is a fucking joke and that piece of paper they hand you in the plane is never asked for and usually ends up being tossed. I've done this trip over a dozen times now and not once has it been asked for.

As for customs, if I know I'm pushing the envelope ( which is usually always), I make sure I wave my British passport around, move swiftly into Dumb and Dumber mode and instantly forget every Spanish word I ever learned.

It's a fact that Argentine nationals are targeted over and above all others. In fact last year they stopped me and asked if I was Argentine and when I said no no, they waved me on as if I was of no interest to them any longer.

Still, I'm glad luck is on my side for now.

• Official Post

In fact last year they stopped me and asked if I was Argentine and when I said no no, they waved me on as if I was of no interest to them any longer.

One downside of getting my naturalization, I guess.

I believe also Chile and Brazil have similar limits. However, they should also carry a wider choice of imported goods for a decent price, I think.

• We have never been asked for that declaration form in all these years, either. But I’m a bit concerned this time because I finally replaced my ancient laptop in July, and will be traveling with the new one, 1 or possibly 2 (old) iPads, an old netbook, and 3 iPhones, aged 6 months, 17 months and 5 years. Will we look like dealers in secondhand electronics?