The First Casualty by Ricky Phillips

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,195 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Official Post

The First Casualty

I bought this book last week on Amazon having missed out last time around and should get stuck in once I've finished some other stuff.

I've read a lot of books oin the Falklands war, including Admiral Woodward's account and this book tells a very different tale and apparently neither the Argentine or the British governments wanted the story to be told.

Military history is one of my favourite subjects and I've read plenty, from Cromwell, Wellington and the Romans to the Falklands and Iraq wars.

Anyway, I can't say much more since I haven't read it yet, but I'll be sure to report back when I have.

Available on Amazon

• I have been told by an argentine colonel who fought in that war, that the Geneva convention was fully respected by both sides. Perhaps the book you refer tells other things.

This colonel was in the Gran Malvina island (that who is looking the continent) and he only received cannon hits by the Royal Navy. No man to man contact.

He received a British officer who told him that the Argentine forces surrendered. The colonel accepted it (he also was prepared to this event) and gave his gun to him. The British office did not accepted it, and invited the Colonel to dinner. Finally, the conversation was plenty of gentleness, no hard feelings. Both were professional colleagues and knew the war etiquette.

A good example that barbarian customs were not used.

I always thought that the military are "administrators of violence", as Liddel Hart says in his book.

• Official Post

My review of The First Casualty over at Goodreads.

I might have added that I felt a frisson of shame at how the British government treated the islanders both prior to the invasion and later how both they and the marines were left to dies at the hands of the invading forces.