Peru Earthquake

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,050 times. The latest Post () was by Carlos.

• Buenos Aires is very fortunate in the area of natural disasters. No earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tornadoes. Most floods in recent memory have been due to overwhelmed infrastructure, not Ma Nature. No mudslides, no wildfires, other than political ones!

• Buenos Aires is very fortunate in the area of natural disasters. No earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tornadoes. Most floods in recent memory have been due to overwhelmed infrastructure, not Ma Nature. No mudslides, no wildfires, other than political ones!

Yes, BA is protected by a huge, extended plains (What we call the Humid Pampa) that serves as cushion to temperate the earthquakes that could come from the Andean Cordillera. And also between the Andes and BA there are the Hills of Cordoba (Sierras Pampeanas) who are from the Primary era (as the Appalachian range) so they have no vulcan activity and remain always still.

Also, the wide estuary in front if BA. which is the junction of two pacific, stable rivers as the Parana and Uruguay, is also a protection, Sometimes the Rio de la Plata is affected by the South east wind, which is an obstacle of the swift flood of the stream of both rivers, and makes a gowth of level.

Also is a merit of the Spanish Conquerors that founded the city in one of the upper parts of the plains, in Plaza de Mayo. This place was never hit by floods. Only in the outskirts, like La Boca, the flood had made some disasters, but at the time of the Spanisgh rule those fields were not officialy populated.

However, I remember that in 25th May 1960 when there was a great earthquake in Puerto Montt and in Valdivia, Chile. The earthquake was so strong that the lamps hanged in the ceiling of our drawing room was moving like a pendulum. The epicenter was at 1200 miles from BA.

But my home was not affected at all.

• I remember that in 25th May 1960 when there was a great earthquake in Puerto Montt and in Valdivia, Chile. The earthquake was so strong that the lamps hanged in the ceiling of our drawing room was moving like a pendulum. The epicenter was at 1200 miles from BA.

But my home was not affected at all.

Your home must have been sturdily built, Carlos . With overhead lamps swinging like pendulums, you’d expect some structural damage. And glass flying around like crazy.

I’m so grateful that Argentina’s traumas are only political, rather than caused by natural disasters.

• My home, where I lived there from 1943 to 1970, was an art deco house built in 1934, but the structure was in reinforced concrete, a novelty in those days. (imported by the German building companies ). Very different from the normal houses at that time, that were only in brick masonry.

But even those had not suffered any damage.

The bad new was that in 1946 came Peron and his gang, sending us to the pothole as we are nowadays.