Traditional attire

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,858 times. The latest Post () was by JohnySanders.

• Until 1990, it was the same as in the United States. Men must have ties at work. Nobody dared to work in jeans or in a T shirt.

In the 1960's. when I was a student at the University, the males came dressed with a sport coat and a tie. Girls were always coming with a pret-a-porter dress, coat included. Noboby uses a bag behind its backs. The only way to carry papers was in the typical attaché like Jams Bond's film. This, even in late spring or summertime.

Nowadays, informal dress is everywhere. I do not undertand that hign positiones politicias give audiences and conferences wthout a tie. Most of it looks as if they were in the backyard of their homes drinking a "mate" or preparing a barbecue (here called asado).

I noted the influence of the caribbean fashion, understandable due to the hot weather. But in this country I regret that those old customs are vanishing.

• Official Post

Nowadays, informal dress is everywhere. I do not undertand that hign positiones politicias give audiences and conferences wthout a tie. Most of it looks as if they were in the backyard of their homes drinking a "mate" or preparing a barbecue (here called asado).

That's exactly the same wording my husband used!

I am very surprised when I walk into banks and there are ladies (not cleaning ladies, clerks and hostesses) wearing that terrible plataformas. Maybe they are considered classy here, but I cannot but think about someone who walked into a pot of fresh concrete.

47-street-4580-30068-1-product.jpg

• Serafina said:

Not to say that women use worst dresses. They use what now is called "calzas", a kind of pants very stretched specifically used for gymnastics.

Low people usually have, instead of leather shoes, what they called "zapatillas". Not because leather shoes are expensive. On the contrary, the "zapatillas" they use (Nike, for example) are much more expensive. It seems that they put all their prestige in those weird shoes, as they are not trekking or walking, or running.

• Serafina said:

Not to say that women use worst dresses. They use what now is called "calzas", a kind of pants very stretched specifically used for gymnastics.

Low people usually have, instead of leather shoes, what they called "zapatillas". Not because leather shoes are expensive. On the contrary, the "zapatillas" they use (Nike, for example) are much more expensive. It seems that they put all their prestige in those weird shoes, as they are not trekking or walking, or running.

Well, I ask that no one should be too disapproving of running shoes! In my case, they are my salvation, as I broke some tendons in my university days that didn’t heal properly even after painful surgeries. Wearing running shoes, I am able to walk 13-16 km/day throughout BsAs; if I were forced to wear the business shoes of 50 years ago, I couldn’t walk a single cuadra without intense pain.

• No worries, Carlos ! You did not offend me in any way — I just want to make sure that my style of dressing is not offensive to tradition in the city. Were I to wear the same kind of beautiful shoes my Mother did, I would need a chauffeur who could leave me at the door!

• Well, to tell the truth, fat people are here bullyied because they look lazy, ugly and useless.

I do not like that discrimination, because fat often is caused by natural illness, not only for eating too much.

Young women are utterly concerned about their weight. And anorexia is common.

• In my observations, Argentine women - both young and “of a certain age” - are very concerned about their appearance. Many are very lovely.

It can be disconcerting to see 80-year-old women with jet black or fire engine red hair, though.

• Mostly of the aged women are very concerned when their hair becomes white. And then they go to the hairdresser to change the colour.

But most of them decided to have blonde colour, which mainly are at odds to the rest of their face. The people do not know anything about genetics, but those who know, inmediately detects the false colour. Blue eyes, blonde hair fits with a caucasian face, not with an African or Asian face.

• Official Post

I am too surprised of the love of blonde in Argentina.

Not only you can tell it's not a greta fit for their complexion, but also that it is cheap stuff because there is no hue and it is all single-shade blonde.

I'd rather see a bold red or purple head than a fake blonde that says 'pathetic' all over.

• It could be a racist response, I presume. But to be blond in Argentina is a clear sign of prestige

And having blue eyes is an additional real advantage.

The nordic racial type is always welcome, especially in the middle-high social classes.

• I am too surprised of the love of blonde in Argentina.

Not only you can tell it's not a greta fit for their complexion, but also that it is cheap stuff because there is no hue and it is all single-shade blonde.

I'd rather see a bold red or purple head than a fake blonde that says 'pathetic' all over.

Well, serafina, there are certainly plenty of bold red and purple heads around, so you will get your wish!