Long haul baggage allowance

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,211 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Iberia long haul BA to Heathrow in economy allows 2 bags for check in per person (max 23Kg each ), plus carry on . British Airways allows only one check in bag each.

I imagine that it's because the Airbus A346 is a much bigger plane than the ancient 777s that BA still uses on their South America routes.

Also, Iberia lets you choose your seat free of charge, unlike British Airways who charge around $25. Unfortunately all the decent seats had gone when I checked in at exactly 24hs before.

Anyway, at least we're not cramped into the very middle.

We fly out at 2130 tonight by the way.

🛫

• I'm about to cancel the Iberia flights we had booked for next month.....just not worked out for us.

You can select seats on BA for free when you do online check in 24 hours before departure. We much prefer going via Madrid as the flight is shorter and they have a day flight on the way back.

• Official Post

Also LATAM gives the same allowance.

I flew with 2x 23-kg check in bags + 1x 8-kg carry-on + 1x computer backpack

They do check the weight very well, though! When flying out, the lady at the counter had me remove some weight from one of the bag and said that they have a +1kg allowance to take into account their scale (in)accuracy. Otherwise you should pay 150 USD for the extra weight. Curiously, that's the same amount you can pay for an extra bag.

When flying back from Italy, my check in bags were at 45.9 kg. I carefully weighted them at home (and got the same weight) using a digital scale I bought at a Chinese mall. Also my carry-on weight was checked.

Personally, though flying through Madrid is shorter, I'd rather have the connection in Brazil as after the long-haul flight I am very tired.

This way I have the layover in São Paulo, and then I land straight into Milan (my mother lives 20' from the airport).

Also, when I had the layover in Madrid (with both Iberia and Air Europe), I was given a hard time during the return flight (Milan to Madrid). In Milan they won't let me have the computer backpack and told me it should stay in the carry-on because I was allowed only one hand piece. Curiously, when I pointed out that I had flown with exactly the same bags when arriving to Europe, I was called a likely-liar ('I have no way to know you are telling the truth'- bluntly said the guy at the counter).

• Official Post

I'm about to cancel the Iberia flights we had booked for next month.....just not worked out for us.

You can select seats on BA for free when you do online check in 24 hours before departure. We much prefer going via Madrid as the flight is shorter and they have a day flight on the way back.

Why didn't it work out with Iberia?

• Why didn't it work out with Iberia?

No problem with Iberia, never had a bad experience with them in all the years we've flown with them.

We booked the flights around 9 months ago hoping we could get away but there's just too much going on at the moment. We always use Avios/Miles so there's no problem cancelling them and being refunded.

• UK Man , when you cancel reservations made with Avios, do they charge the US $150/ticket fee charged by US airlines?

We have been using Avios for hotel stays during the past few years. This time, British Airways informed us that we could neither cancel nor change the reservations.

• UK Man , when you cancel reservations made with Avios, do they charge the US $150/ticket fee charged by US airlines?

We have been using Avios for hotel stays during the past few years. This time, British Airways informed us that we could neither cancel nor change the reservations.

There is a fee for cancelling reward tickets. I booked through Iberia Plus and they charge 25 Euro for each ticket. BA has similar charges. As for hotel stays I believe that depends on the rate you book. Some are refundable some are not.