GRABR anyone tried them?

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,389 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• This sounds like a great way for travelers from Europe and the US to pay for their plane tickets to BsAs, because one person could bring in several items, as long as not all were electronics and the aggregate didn't weigh too much -

Splinter , you could be a guinea pig, if you didn't mind leaving behind a few tins of beans....

• I see that BA is the highest paying destination by far.

My main question is, what if you don't have enough $$ to buy the item since you need to buy it yourself and then get reimbursed.

I haven't investigated it fully but I was under the impression the recipient paid for it and the mule just collected and delivered it. Then again that doesn't sound right either as the mule might not bother collecting it if they can't be arsed.

• Good point. Does the buyer have to trust the mule, or vice versa? What if the mule picks up the prepaid item and decides to keep it? What happens if the mule advances the funds and buys it, then the person who requested it changes his mind, and the mule is stuck with it?

(By the way, what is with the sudden ubiquitous use of the expression “arsed?” When I asked a friend to do a favor for me and he said he couldn’t be arsed, I knew it wasn’t a positive reply, but had to ask for a translation of the insult. Is this a traditional British expression or something hip and new?)

• oops. Splinter and I were writing at the same time, so I missed his explanation of the process.

How many travelers would really be willing to purchase anything substantial (say a new iPhone) for a stranger who could very possibly change his mind? Maybe the buyer has to prepay grabr, who holds the money in escrow for the traveler?

• Official Post

(By the way, what is with the sudden ubiquitous use of the expression “arsed?” When I asked a friend to do a favor for me and he said he couldn’t be arsed, I knew it wasn’t a positive reply, but had to ask for a translation of the insult. Is this a traditional British expression or something hip and new?)

When I was reading Bridget Jones' Diary, she used arse a lot instead of ass.

NOUN

British

vulgar slang

• 1A person's buttocks or anus.
    • 2A stupid, irritating, or contemptible person.

VERB

British

vulgar slang

• 1 arse about/around [no object] - Behave in a stupid way; waste time.
    • 2 arse something up [with object] - Make a botched attempt at something.
    • 3 can't be arsed - Not want to do something because one has no interest in or enthusiasm for it.
    • Official Post

oops. Splinter and I were writing at the same time, so I missed his explanation of the process.

How many travelers would really be willing to purchase anything substantial (say a new iPhone) for a stranger who could very possibly change his mind? Maybe the buyer has to prepay grabr, who holds the money in escrow for the traveler?

That's interesting. And what about bulky items and random airport checks resulting in a fine?

• I wouldn’t think a traveler could be ARSED to bring in heavy/bulky items for a stranger. As for the random checks, the traveler would need to be sure he/she didn’t already have much in the way of electronics or new items.