Favourite breakfast

There are 28 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,722 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

Argentines usually have a café con leche, which is a cup 50% coffee and 50% milk, together with either a sweet pastry called medialuna (a sort of brioche) or a sweet alternative called tostadas (slice of bread with a light cheese spread or butter and marmalade or caramel spread (dulce de leche)) or a salty hot toast called tostado with ham and cheese. Some have medialunas with jam and cheese, instead.

Below: left, tostadas with butter and caramel spread; middle, café con leche.

o.jpg

Below: the classic 'combo' consisting of café con leche and two medialunas, plus a complimentary glass of tap water which tastes like pool water.

715x402_292630_20161005085142.jpg

Below: a tostado with ham and cheese

tostadas-jq1-d2c40500309175ab1315119478812711-640-0.jpg

• My Argentine wife has a concoction of mixed cereal and yoghurt with some fresh fruit thrown in for good measure. She drinks mate.

I'm not Argentine but since coming to live here my breakfast hasn't changed. I still eat Kellogs corn flakes with milk and drink coffee. Only difference is the quality of both are poor and extortionately priced in comparison to the UK.

• Great photos and descriptions, serafina ! When you describe food, I head for the kitchen.

I love tostados, with cheese melting over the ham and oozing out the sides of the toast. But for us, they are more a supper item. For breakfast, tostados are a nice warm version of a Dutch breakfast, with cold ham & cheese slices served with crispy rusk.

Most people we know in BsAs just grab a quick cafe with a couple of medialunas for breakfast, saving room for a BIG lunch, usually eaten at 1 or 2 pm or later.

Medialunas are delicious. They may look like croissants, but they have a light, sweet glaze that makes you want to snarf down half a dozen.

• Medialunas are delicious. They may look like croissants, but they have a light, sweet glaze that makes you want to snarf down half a dozen.

Yes if I remember I buy half a dozen medialunas and half a dozen dulce de leche filled things once a week and freeze them. I take one out and put it in the Philips air fryer for a couple of minutes to have at breakfast.

• I'm looking forward to a good English breakfast in about ten days time :)

Enjoy.:)

I can rustle up an acceptable fry up here when I can be bothered. Panceta ahumada, salchicha parrillera, sliced morcilla, home made tattie scone,fried egg and tomato and even the odd mushroom if I have them. All acceptable substitutes for the 'real thing'. The missus doesn't partake. :D

• My Argentine wife has a concoction of mixed cereal and yoghurt with some fresh fruit thrown in for good measure. She drinks mate.

I'm not Argentine but since coming to live here my breakfast hasn't changed. I still eat Kellogs corn flakes with milk and drink coffee. Only difference is the quality of both are poor and extortionately priced in comparison to the UK.

I am drinking a hot cup of mate cocido (It's mate in a tea bag!) as I read this post right now.

Personally, I really enjoy the taste. On occasion, for a change up, I'll take Twinings Earl Grey Tea. (Readily available in Buenos Aires.

• I am drinking a hot cup of mate cocido (It's mate in a tea bag!) as I read this post right now.

Personally, I really enjoy the taste. On occasion, for a change up, I'll take Twinings Earl Grey Tea. (Readily available in Buenos Aires.

I use Taragui en hebras and have to say it's very good.

• Twinings is ridiculously expensive here .

We tend to buy tea in Europe or in the USA

When we run out of imported tea , we go for Green Hills - Used to wonder about the brand name and then I dsicovered that the factory is in Loma Verde in Escobar

• I've found most brands of tea bags here all too weak for a cup never mind a mug. Taragui out of all the ones I've tried is the strongest and I can get a decent mug of tea out of it if I let the bag brew for 5 minutes. It wasn't until I tried their loose tea that I started drinking more and enjoying Argy tea. It's up there in quality with British tea in my opinion....but you do have to give it time to brew in the pot. Usual rule 1 spoonful for each cup plus one for the pot.

I wouldn't bother with Twinings even if it were cheaper....

• I'm actually drinking Taragui Internacional loose tea at the moment....the last tin. They had it in a special tea caddy made of tin a while back and when it was on offer we bought around six of them. Never saw it again only the tea bag version. I personally think the normal Taragui loose tea is better tasting....and cheaper.

WP-20200223-002.jpg

• Just goes to show that if you see something you want, but a shedload.

A habit my wife never lost when we lived in Glasgow. Many's the time I had to stop her buying half a dozen of something that was on offer in Tesco. Especially when that something was a product we didn't use that often. I had to reassure her that by the time we finished the first one it would almost certainly be on offer again.

After coming to live here I soon found out why she had that sort of mindset when it came to offers. ^^

• Ahhh, the art of stocking up.

As humans go, we inherently gather and store. I won''t cross the line into packrat though!

• Best of it is these so called offers in the likes of La Anonima and Vea aren't really offers at all.....KitKats being an excellent example. La Anomimas normal price for one KitKat is 96 pesos. The other day they were ''ON OFFERTA!!!!'' at 58 pesos!!! A three block walk to a small Kisoco they had them at 3 for 100 pesos....normal price 40 pesos which is far more realistic.

How the supermarkets get away with it is beyond me....Crazy!! One example why this country is F*****!!