Argentina domestic airfares for $16

There are 3 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Carlos.

• Too good to last? And available only for residents?

Condé Nast Traveler: The Intel
    August 2, 2018

“Pack your bags: For less than the cost of really nice sunscreen, you can fly from Buenos Aires to Córdoba, Argentina, in the center of the country. This isn't a flash sale, nor is it a fare posted by LATAM, the airline, in error: Instead, $16 flights are part of a new reality in Argentina, where airlines are no longer required to charge fliers a minimum of US$30-$35 per leg for round-trip domestic flights, reports Airline Geeks.

“Chile-based LATAM isn't the only airline offering I-can't-believe-how-cheap-that-is fares: National flag carrier Aerolineas Argentinas's website advertised flights for 499 pesos ($18.20), and saw its website crash Wednesday a.m. as travelers rushed to scoop up the tickets, reports Bloomberg. FlyBondi, an Argentinean low-cost carrier, even advertised flights as low as 199 pesos (roughly $7) for round-trip travel around the country, but those have since sold out. (By the time you're reading this, the $16 fares might even be gone, too.)

“The change in airfare policy is good news for travelers looking to hop around Argentina, the second-largest country in South America, but has been controversial for airlines. Labor unions say the decision could lead to job losses at Aerolineas Argentinas, the country's largest airline, given that it may struggle to compete with low-cost carriers.”

• That is a good new, of course. I cannot understand if a flight with those prices could be profitable for an airline.

As regards if it is for residents only, this I cannot know just now.

Anyway, to appreciate Cordoba it's better to go by car, as you need to go inside the mountains and there are no airports for short flights. Bur for stay only in the city, is a good bargain,

• I agree — Córdoba by car is best, especially with congenial friends.

But I’d love a $16 fare to Mendoza or Iguazú.... I guess it would really be a stretch to hope they might have this kind of giveaway fare to Patagonia, but one can dream.

• I agree — Córdoba by car is best, especially with congenial friends.

But I’d love a $16 fare to Mendoza or Iguazú.... I guess it would really be a stretch to hope they might have this kind of giveaway fare to Patagonia, but one can dream.

If they are offering these bargains to Cordoba, perhaps they will extend these advantages to Mendoza and Iguazu Falls.