Browsers with built-in VPN

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,093 times. The latest Post () was by CruiseJunki.

• Official Post

I've been using Opera for a couple of years now, mainly because I like the large thumbnails on the homepage for my most frequently visited sites and yes, I have used the VPN and it works very well as Jim has said in the article, with no noticeable slowdown.

I'm a very big fan of Opera and those stories about the Chinese spying on us since it was sold to them are simply the usual scare mongers at work.

Who isn't spying on us anyway? But at least with a decent VPN, you have a chance.

• I've been using Opera for a couple of years now, mainly because I like the large thumbnails on the homepage for my most frequently visited sites and yes, I have used the VPN and it works very well as Jim has said in the article, with no noticeable slowdown.

I'm a very big fan of Opera and those stories about the Chinese spying on us since it was sold to them are simply the usual scare mongers at work.

Who isn't spying on us anyway? But at least with a decent VPN, you have a chance.

Absolutely! We have, for the most part, set ourselves up for scams, theft, and spying by choosing to become cybercitizens. We can easily become safe and invulnerable - all we need is a dark room and an opaque blanket.

• Absolutely! We have, for the most part, set ourselves up for scams, theft, and spying by choosing to become cybercitizens. We can easily become safe and invulnerable - all we need is a dark room and an opaque blanket.

Very seriously, here:

If a rewind were possible, back to the mid-90's, when the Internet was a friendly little place, what would have been a safe way forward, using the suddenly-available technology while avoiding the security pitfalls we can so clearly see in the rearview mirror?

• Very seriously, here:

If a rewind were possible, back to the mid-90's, when the Internet was a friendly little place, what would have been a safe way forward, using the suddenly-available technology while avoiding the security pitfalls we can so clearly see in the rearview mirror?

I’ll be interested in Splinter’s take on this, but for me the answer is “nothing.” If you consign any part of your life and data to web-dwellers, you’re at risk and some day, in some way, you’ll likely pay a price.

• Official Post

The Net is a darned sight more sophisticated than it was in the mid 90s because tech has moved on in light years since then. Either way, the only way to guarantee anonymity today is to go dark. That is, tunnel down into the so called dark web and use a browser like Tor, which I've used purely experimentally and found it agonisingly slow.

It's best used if your life and/or liberty are at risk and you can be sure the likes of Snowden and Assange will have used it, amongst other measures.

• In the past I have used / tried at least three VPN services - all paid services.

The only one that seems to work most of the time is "PIA".

However, I noticed that using some services - like Google for example - even PIA can't keep them from knowing who you are and where you are and your IP Address!

Not a VPN, but nevertheless it was a great software, I once had a software on my computer that could detect just about everything about a person who sent me an email: the route used, the IP Address, time sent, where from, IP and Email Address registered under a specific name, etc., etc.

Unfortunately when my computer was hacked into, I lost the software and never could find it again. That was in the early 2000's.

Much later while on someone's forum, I found out that such software is meant only for the military and other "officials" - and us peasants are not supposed to have such neat little "goodies" like that software I had; highly illegal.

• It’s possible that PIA stands for Prisoner In Albania. Close call, that.

• It’s possible that PIA stands for Prisoner In Albania. Close call, that.

Too funny, ha ha!

"Private Internet Access" - https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

I expect you could find it again on the deep web.

I tried .... all attempts to find that software again failed completely.

I don't know now by who or where it was "published", but it was sated that type of software is illegal in the U.S.

The U.S. Military, CIA, and NSA, etc., use that type of software ...... so we "peasants" are not suppose to have it!