What's your favourite beer?

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,203 times. The latest Post () was by GlasgowJohn.

• Official Post

Since arriving here in 2005, beer drinking has been a hit and miss affair, where I started with Quilmes, which is nearly as awful as Budweiser IE tastes like piss. I've yet to find a decent bitter, but there are more and more micro breweries opening up, so that's something.

I'm not a huge beer drinker, but I find it breaks the ice nicely before going onto the wine, so now I drink Stella Artois which, on a very hot day can really hit the spot. And it has to be icy cold, served from a small bottle and poured gently into a cold beer glass. I simply can't drink straight from the bottle and that's a habit I simply will not follow.

When I'm home in the UK my favourite bitter beer is Butty Bach from Wye Valley Brewery, which is hand pumped of course, not too bitter, a slightly sweet edge and not too strong at 4.5%. A session beer if you like. Love the stuff and when we're in Hereford, we head straight for The Barrels pub where there is Butty bach aplenty and a lovely beer garden.

A really good beer that survives being in a bottle or can is Old Speckled Hen which again, is not too bitter and has good body.

We're off to England again this July, so some sampling will be in order.

What's your favourite?

• Official Post

Around our area in Palermo Soho there are tons (literally) of breweries (or pretending to be. breweries), gastropub (can't avoid thinking about gastric bypass, though), etc.

I met a Brit guy who has a microbrewery in Boulogne, and he delivers his beer to some places here (among which, the old El Tejano which has changed ownership a few years ago). I still haven't tried his beer, nor I do know the name of the beer. They just make 2-3 types, but they used to do more. The guy explained it was too much of a hassle, so they stuck to 2-3 kinds.

In this article there are some recommendations on where to enjoy a craft beer in Buenos Aires, including a German beer place (!).

Among the brands sold in supermarkets, I have been positively impressed by Imperial IPA. I believe it is a novelty. For me, it is the only decent beer that makes to a six among those sold in supermarkets. In Mar del Plata (where I found it for the first time), however, it was quite hard to find at the local supermarkets, being inconsistently supplied at Disco.

Imperial-IPA-la-nueva-especialidad-de-Cerveza-Imperial-752x440.jpg

• Out of my depth in this thread, as I’ve never developed a taste for beer, except for anything served icy cold on a hot beach.

But without hijacking the thread, I would like to ask serafina if you remember when El Tejano sold? Was it after it moved to the current location?

Has anyone tried the craft beer made by / served at NOLA Gastropub? Love their food, though also laughing in agreement that the word “gastro” calls to mind topics that aren’t exactly appetizing. I understand that the beer is quite popular.

• Official Post

Out of my depth in this thread, as I’ve never developed a taste for beer, except for anything served icy cold on a hot beach.

But without hijacking the thread, I would like to ask serafina if you remember when El Tejano sold? Was it after it moved to the current location?

El Tejano moved to Microcentro (Uruguay 1175), and I have been reading their reviews on TripAdvisor (link). People who used to hang out at the old location in Palermo Soho were very critical about the new place.

The old location (Honduras 4416) was sold to a friend of the founder (also an expat, though I cannot remember from which country), and it continues selling about the same stuff (ribs and fries) with a discrete success, under the name of Lekker smokehouse, where they also serve the Brit's beer I was talking about. I have never been to either, so I cannot really comment. However, I'd be curious to try the beer, since it is literally three blocks from where we live now.

I suppose it all happened two years ago.

• Official Post

They opened a craft beer place a couple of blocks from home. I went there once, described what kind of beer I like, and got a Patagonia Amber (or Ambar?). It was superb.

I know they 'partner' with El alamo, which is also in Palermo (Av. Córdoba 5267) and El Tejano does Tuesdays there (or so it says on their FB page). However, I am not sure whose house you are referring to, EJLarson , as I remember yours in Pqe Chas.

https://www.facebook.com/ElTej…368728701/?type=3&theater

• I know they 'partner' with El alamo, which is also in Palermo (Av. Córdoba 5267) and El Tejano does Tuesdays there (or so it says on their FB page). However, I am not sure whose house you are referring to, EJLarson , as I remember yours in Pqe Chas.

https://www.facebook.com/ElTej…368728701/?type=3&theater

That’s the house. Don’t remember what they call the place, but it’s on Malvinas a block or so north of Directorio. I think Patagonia is their house brand.