Tech articles

There are 125 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 25,997 times. The latest Post () was by Bombonera.

• I bought our first PC from Evesham Micros. It was a Pentium II with a massive 32MB of RAM.

It was a really exciting day because we had bought it a few days before Christmas and had decided to make sandwiches for Christmas Day and eat them out in the rainy countryside at the Elan Valley, Wales, literally escaping the madness.

When we got home in the evening, we poured our drinks and opened the boxes!

Sounds like a great Christmas day!

• If you want to know how the internet changed our lives, try living without your phone for 2 weeks.

I have to say I could quite easily. It very rarely leaves the front door anyway and we still have the house phone if the missus wanted to contact me.

I must admit it did come in handy when we had the power cut....probably used it more hours then than I ever have in total.

• Helpful

I think you are the exception to the communication rat race, UK Man, as your wife seems to handle most communications. My husband also exists perfectly serenely without his phone, because everything seems to come through mine. Recently having been relieved of my phone by a pickpocket, I've spent a couple of weeks without whatsapp or phone - - and have no idea how many people probably think we're dead because we haven't replied to voice or text msgs we don't know we were to have received. Not having a phone also caused a panic after Sunday's storm, when we didn't know whether the remis driver was cancelling (didn't show up) our airport reservation.

Now I'm trying to get another phone: delivery is supposedly scheduled for today, but FedEx "will text me to give me the approximate time of delivery." So clearly, one of us has to be home all day and possibly again tomorrow, just in case the phone actually comes.

Perhaps to know exactly what it would be like, you would need to put both your phone AND your wife's phone in the safe for 2 weeks. You'd still have the advantage of a land line (BTW, there is one in the BsAs apt, but it freakin' works when it wants to, which was not Sunday after the storm), but you'd come closer to realizing how dependent we are on the phones and the internet.

• I think you are the exception to the communication rat race, UK Man, as your wife seems to handle most communications. My husband also exists perfectly serenely without his phone, because everything seems to come through mine

Sensible chap. :thumbup:

You do make a good point though. I accompanied my missus to her doctor yesterday. The waiting room had four people seated all looking at their mobiles. They looked up said buenas tardes and went back to ogling their phones. Then an elderly woman arrived, she sat down brought out her mobile and started tapping away. ^^