Amazon Prime

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,366 times. The latest Post () was by Semigoodlooking.

• My wife found this yesterday - I missed it when it happened in December. This is huge - at least for us. Living in the US, Amazon Prime is now one of life's irreplaceable building blocks - kind of like phones that find addresses and play music. Most of our TV watching is now based on the Prime offerings, Netflix relegated to second place.

Included in the Prime subscription are Acorn, Starz, and several others that would cost money separately. The non-TV Prime advantages, such as free Amazon shipping, are sadly not of much value in Argentina, but I'd consider subscribing for the TV offerings alone.

We'll be in BsAs for the next six weeks, so we'll see how much of the content is available. Is anyone currently using the service and can give some insights into what, if any, limitations are imposed?

• The Bubble's unique brand of language and punctuation often leaves me wondering exactly what the writer is saying. In this case, I'm scratching my head over "Prime video will come at the price of US $2.99 for the first 6 months – that’s around AR $60 a month on top of Prime membership – a 50% discount off the original full price of $5.99 (around AR $122)."

Does this mean that you must first purchase Amazon Prime, and then pay another $2.99 for 6 months of Prime Video? Or first purchase Amazon Prime and then pay another $2.99 per month for 6 months?

If either of the above, how is Prime Video different from regular Amazon Prime's unlimited access of films, tv shows, etc?

Confused --

• Official Post

I've just cancelled our subscription to Prime Video because we are being charged US$11 because of the way the account was set up. I'll explain...

Clearly anything you buy on Amazon is in the currency that you set up on your account and I've had an Amazon account since around 2004, during which time the locations have changed a lot.

Long story short, I had the currency set to GB£ because I only ever ordered physical items over there for obvious reasons, so were being charged in GB£ which was then converted to US$ but charged to an Argentine card with all the taxes that attracts, resulting in a final cost of more than AR$1100 per month.

Furthermore, trying to find a payment history on Amazon is impossible and we could only track it through Mastercard, which doesn't even give you a breakdown of added taxes anyway.

It's also worth noting that you have to be careful about which card will be your default on Amazon. Last year I ordered a book for a friend on my Amazon account but input HIS card details, forgetting to remove his card later on. Our Prime sub then got charged to his card for six months with no prior notification. It was only when he noticed it on his card in GB£ that we discovered the mistake and then resolved it.

I'll probably set up a new Amazon account for Arg in AR$ and see how that goes, because as far as I know, we should only be paying around AR$300 including taxes for Prime.

• I pay $120.00 a year for Prime Membership, videos is included. That being said, only some videos are included in the free watch list, all others have

to be rented or purchased. The ones that are free are add free, unlike Roku and Hulu, am not sure about Disney. Payment history is listed under

memberships & subscriptions.

• Official Post

I have Hulu, the most expensive option, and I never get any ad. I know there might still be ads even with the most expensive subscription, but I tried the cheaper one and the ads were overwhelming.

Splinter, can't you simply change the location of your Amazon account and add an Argie card? I have no problem in moving my account from Italy to the US depending on my needs, and I have added my US cards while I still had Italian cards associated with the same account.

• I pay $120.00 a year for Prime Membership, videos is included. That being said, only some videos are included in the free watch list, all others have

to be rented or purchased.

This is the maddening thing about Prime. The worst is watching several seasons of a series and then being told you have to pay for the next episodes. Netflix hasn't started scamming their subscribers this way, and I hope they don't.

• Official Post

I pay $120.00 a year for Prime Membership, videos is included. That being said, only some videos are included in the free watch list, all others have

to be rented or purchased. The ones that are free are add free, unlike Roku and Hulu, am not sure about Disney. Payment history is listed under

memberships & subscriptions.

This is where it gets confusing. Prime membership is not the same as subscribing to Prime Video. With the former, Prime Video is included, albeit limited and the latter is the streaming service on its own, which is what we were paying for.

I've cancelled it now anyway.