Sputnik V vaccine is a winner!!

There are 16 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,246 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• I’ll admit to bias against secretly tested vaccines, but I’m very pleasantly surprised that Lancet is reporting 89% effectiveness.

I also like this:

“Unlike other similar vaccines, the Sputnik jab uses two slightly different versions of the vaccine for the first and second dose - given 21 days apart.

They both target the coronavirus's distinctive "spike", but use different vectors - the neutralised virus that carries the spike to the body.

The idea is that using two different formulas boosts the immune system even more than using the same version twice - and may give longer-lasting protection.”

• I'm still waiting for the Oxford vaccine, but I see that Arg is also going for the China version now as well.

Never thought I'd say it but I would rather have the Russian one. Not that it matters as I'm normal weight and fighting fit despite over 50 years of fry ups and smoking!!

• Official Post

A little gossip from my family: a C-role at Pfizer commented that he wouldn't get the Pfizer vaccine because it is a mRNA vaccine whose consequences on the DNA are still uncertain, and he considers the Chinese vaccine, followed by the Russian one, the best.

A friend, who is a researcher at a lab not affiliated with companies producing the covid-19 vaccine, commented that she wouldn't do any vaccine, but if she had to pick one, it would be Pfizer or Moderna.

One for and one against - I am back to square one.

• I haven’t heard any serious scientists suggest that the mRNA vaccines have any effect on vaccine recipients’ DNA. (What is a C-role?)

I have heard a not-too-brilliant young woman say she didn’t want the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines because she had “seen on the internet” that they changed one’s DNA.

Does anyone have any reference sources for this?

• I don't read or watch the news here so haven't a clue what's happenng regarding the vaccination programme.

As my 85 year old MIL has still to be informed I take it not one member of the general public has been vaccinated?

• I don't read or watch the news here so haven't a clue what's happenng regarding the vaccination programme.

As my 85 year old MIL has still to be informed I take it not one member of the general public has been vaccinated?

That's more or less the case.

Had a coffee with a senior cardiologist in the Hospital Aleman last week - socially distanced - masks only off to sip the coffee. I asked him what about you guys? And he confessed no one knows when we will have the vaccines for the staff and even less of a clue when we will have the vaccines for the patients.

My sister is a senior prosthetist in a Glasgow hospital - She got her second dose last week.

My other two sisters, both retired and in their late sixties got their first dose, last week.

• I'm going to the Britanico on Wednesday. Must ask them what the situation is.

• Official Post

At a certain point, they guaranteed that the City of Buenos Aires would be starting to vaccinate people over 70 years old 'within next week'. It was some weeks ago, though.

I guess it was just a headline in the Larreta vs. Kicillof war.

Two classmates of mine (from high school) are doctors and they have already gotten their shots. The one working in public hospitals, and covid coordinator for the local structures, was first on Jan 27. The other one works in private practices and got hers maybe 2 weeks later. In other regions, also people started getting vaccinated, but HCP and elder only, for now. Plus some politician =O