Other films, TV shows and streamers

There are 109 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,631 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• The Dilenquents looks like a very interesting film. When you learn that it has been subtitled, please let us know, aficionado ?

This film [Gettysburg] is four and a half hours long and I'm watching it over several days. As a history lesson, it's quite remarkable and detailed. One wonders what remnants of that terrible civil war still remain today.

Ten years ago, I would have replied that few if any remnants of the American Civil War remained. But in the last 8 years, much has changed in the USA, erasing some of the progress and healing of the past 155+ years.

Following the Civil War, Congress passed the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, granting citizenship and equal legal and civil rights to African Americans and to formerly enslaved people who had been freed after the Civil War.

To safeguard against a future takeover of the country by insurrectionists who had held office and had sworn loyalty to the constitution, this critical provision was included in the Fourteenth Amendment:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.”

This never-before exercised provision of the Fourteenth Amendment is now being tested in the Judicial system right now, with various states deciding whether the name of the insurrectionist former president of the USA can be barred from appearing on the ballots in the 2024 presidential election.

So I would say that there are, indeed, sad remnants of the Civil War still at play in the USA today. This is just one example.

• Barbie

(2023)

Overview

Barbie and Ken are having the time of their lives in the colorful and seemingly perfect world of Barbie Land. However, when they get a chance to go to the real world, they soon discover the joys and perils of living among humans. Read more

Genres

• Comedy
  • Fallout

(2024)

Overview

The story of haves and have-nots in a world in which there’s almost nothing left to have. 200 years after the apocalypse, the gentle denizens of luxury fallout shelters are forced to return to the irradiated hellscape their ancestors left behind — and are shocked to discover an incredibly complex, gleefully weird, and highly violent universe waiting for them. Read more
  • Haven’t watched it, aficionado . More info, please?

It's based on one of the most popular video games ever where survivors of a nuclear war come out of their underground shelters many years later.

I read the arstechnica article first which got me interested. I knew it was a game, as Splinter explains, though I never played. It was reading NYT and this guardian review that convinced me to watch, since they gave positive reviews based on not knowing the plot or idea of the game. It is comical plus the violence is cartoonish vs realistic violence, which so far was the most during episode one. I should not try to explain or review it any better than the linked Guardian critique.