I am Starting a business in Patagonia with my Fiancee .

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,429 times. The latest Post () was by hairyscotsman.

• This 2 fold as i want to be able to travel on business as tourist flights will be last to be allowed according to latest information. Needing info on paperwork required

I have an idea for a business involving fishing bringing wives travelling around patagonia etc .

I am only looking to get a company set up in name only at the moment which would allow me to have a business interest in Patagonia which as well as i feel being a viable business will allow me to travel should it be business and health flights only initially as has been suggested.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for setting up a company like this with a PO box in Argentina etc and any pitfalls to watch for.

Or am i better setting this up in uk ...I was thinking better doing it in Argentina as will give me more sway trying to prove a business connection.

Thoughts please

• Official Post

If it's for the sole purpose to find an excuse to enter Argentina, I guess establishing a company in the UK doesn't help at all.

However, setting up a business in Argentina is a nightmare and I would avoid it at all costs.

As for entering Argentina, today they announced the quarantine is going on until August 31. Definitely letting people travel for leisure doesn't seem in their plans, either domestically or internationally.

• I would do it in Scotland. Or anywhere but here.....

But it may depend on where your customers are based and where they will pay you.

Taxes are incredible high here and a huge disincentive to doing anything .

Whenever flights start , it wont matter whether you are investing or visiting

• I would do it in Scotland. Or anywhere but here.....

Have to agree. I've found it very hard to understand how normal Argentine life works never mind starting and running a business and that's 12 years after living here. My wife does everything involving the running of the family business...I find it impossible.

I've been fishing in Patagonia and feel you will have to compete with some stiff competition down there,

• Splinter

Moved the thread to the trash.
  • Splinter

Changed the title of the thread from “I am Starting a business in Patagonia with my Fiancee . This 2 fold as i want to be able to travel on business as tourist flights will be last to be allowed according to latest information. Needing info on paperwork required” to “I am Starting a business in Patagonia with my Fiancee .”.
  • Many Thanks guys...That was what i had i already thought but glad of the confirmation...

FLights booked on sept 2nd still active with BA so looks like they will just cancel these literally the day before ...

Im not trying to compete with the lodges down there but work in tandem with them but looking after wives as can see this is an underused selling point and trying to inc a shorter 2/3 day fishing trip with wives included taking them on trips etc as opposed to it being male only or if a wife decides to come she takes a space at the lodge and is charged accordingly even if not fishing...My Fiancee has a travel and tourism degree so we are looking to utilise both our skill sets...Nothing ventured and as its only really for a 10/12 period when its summer season down there and we intend to be in Scotland the rest of the year and my own business over here is dead these 12 weeks it gives us something to get our teeth into..Also with covid i can see a lot more call for off the beaten track tourism...can but try.

• Official Post

Many Thanks guys...That was what i had i already thought but glad of the confirmation...

FLights booked on sept 2nd still active with BA so looks like they will just cancel these literally the day before ...

Im not trying to compete with the lodges down there but work in tandem with them but looking after wives as can see this is an underused selling point and trying to inc a shorter 2/3 day fishing trip with wives included taking them on trips etc as opposed to it being male only or if a wife decides to come she takes a space at the lodge and is charged accordingly even if not fishing...My Fiancee has a travel and tourism degree so we are looking to utilise both our skill sets...Nothing ventured and as its only really for a 10/12 period when its summer season down there and we intend to be in Scotland the rest of the year and my own business over here is dead these 12 weeks it gives us something to get our teeth into..Also with covid i can see a lot more call for off the beaten track tourism...can but try.

What I would do is establishing the business in the UK (or wherever you are) and take advantage of your time here to survey the area and the facilities, networking and spotting like-minded local business folk. Finding people eager to make money is hard in this country, even if everybody complaint hey are poor and short of money.

I know it may sound odd or biased, but Argentinians are NOT after the money and don't reason the same way most people living in western society do.

We have a thread about deplorable customer service experience and weird attitudes we were given as customers in shops / offices.

Also, many people in Argentina have 2-3 jobs, so they don't have 100% dedication to one (the one you may need them to do) and definitely do not feel the pressure to deliver, to provide quality products/services, the importance of a good feedback and word of mouth etc.

I'll tell you one episode which I believe can relate to your business.

A few years ago we decided to explore the 2nd most explored route in the North-West of Argentina, i.e. Valle de la Luna and Talampaya Park. We added several intermediate destinations along the route to make it worth the trip. A friend is a paragliding instructor and brings tourists from abroad to fly in those beautiful locations in the inner Argentinian provinces, so we got several tips on where to go, where to stay and what to do.

He recommended a stop in the town of Famatina where there is a two-color river in the Ocre Canyon, which is accessible by 4x4 and only local people know/can drive to those beautiful, secluded locations. He gave us the phone number of a guy who does this and who is friend with him. He also tells us that you have to follow up with those people because they aren't much on the money or the job, they tend to forget...

Hence, my husband called the tour driver two months in advance to book his services for a given day, also informing him where we were going to stay.

Famatina has 2,500 inhabitants and there are 3-4 people with a 4x4 who, in turn, bring tourists on tours. There is even a tourist office with TWO employees: the Manager and a secretary. We went during low season.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=…7kGHXY2CUUQ_AUoAnoECBYQBA

My husband called again one week before our trip to remind the guy we were going to be there on day X and wanted to take the excursion at 9 AM.

Needless to say... we arrive in Famatina the day before and the guy is not picking up the phone. The place where we are staying guarantees they have seen him around, so he is there. Well, maybe his phone died, we think. The next day we get up and try to call the guy at around 9 AM and still no reply. We walk to the tourism office - we think that in low season there should be plenty of 4x4 drivers eager to bring tourist around and earn 60 USD for a day trip. Boy, were we wrong!

The secretary calls the super, who arrives in 20' (he was obviously still at home asleep, given it was low season). He tells us that there is FOR SURE someone available to take us to the Ocre Canyon, but he has to check who is available. He explains the government had given financing to buy 4x4, but only 3-4 people in town were anyway able to afford it and they have a day job because tourism in not enough to support them (understandably, besides the purchasing price you have to put fuel and maintain the vehicle for the time to come...).

Meanwhile, it's now almost 10 AM. Another couple of Argentinians in their 60's arrive to know what's there to do/see in Famatina. They have arrived clueless (very Argentinian!) and my husband explains and sells the excursion better than the tourism office. This way, we can share the tour cost since it's paid by vehicle/day, up to 4 passengers.

Finally, at 10:40 AM a man with a 4x4 arrives and we go on our excursion.

I was this close to leave the town, completely pissed because we travelled hundred of kms for NOTHING. At the tourism office, nobody felt the pressure to deliver. Nobody seemed to care about the easy money (I guess driving for 4 hours on a beautiful scenery is better than doing masonry work, no?) nor about what we'd tell people back home about our experience.

rio-dos-colores-rioja-argentina-13032018in2.jpg

• Yes in my limited experience of being over there i can concur with pretty much everything you say.. I suppose i am in a slightly different position where the GF has friends and family all over patagonia ..some with glamping domes...hotel owners etc as well as a huge network of people to contact.

Also it will be neither of our main income so less pressure on ourselves...I did as you suggested the last time i was over in regard to networking etc and will be interesting to see what happens this tourist season....

I can not see them being in major quarantine since march up to at least the start of sept to then allow thousands of tourists to arrive in next couple of months from all over the world without a mandatory quarantine....