Who still posts on BAexpats?

There are 22 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,418 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• I hadn't looked in for ages but had a look tonight. I was surprised to see how active it still is with many familair names from the past. Just wondered if anyone here still posts there...even under a different name?

• I do, same name as here. At the very least the place is a decent source of information on Argentina. I never really integrated myself in the community of regular posters so just post if something catches my eye. It’s a lot of going around in circles in terms of debates over regular topics.

What’s the principal Splinter, that they banned you?

• Not for over 3 years. I have gone over there to snoop a few times, and am always surprised at how few threads are at all interesting. Could explain how few posts there are per week, compared to the thousands who are supposed to be members.

Your question made me curious, UK Man , so I just went over there to check it out. For the first time in years, they have a few Hot Topics with multiple pages of current responses. And, like old times, someone had been censored and asked what the (unstated, unknown) forum “rules” were.

• Official Post

I sometimes lurk to read some weird post about the wildest expats adventures - it's my Hulu in writing.

I lost my original nickname on that forum when they upgraded it but my avatar is a Soviet tribute.

Threads are heavily moderated and shut down randomly. There are still knowledgeable people contributing. However, the expats community has deteriorated a lot in the last years because Argentina was no longer a cheap, attractive place and because of social media. However, even expat FB groups are heavily moderated because they are by nature more chaotic.

I got banned also from a FB group for female expats because I posted twice an ad for English-speaking jobs at the Douglas Tompkins estate in Corrientes. When I realized, I asked why I was not able to access the forum, and it took me a few message exchange with an admin to realize I had been actually banned. She (the admin, an Argentinian girl!!) said they post the rules regularly and I should have read them and understood they were directed at me and my job posts. They didn't give me any personal warning no nothing. I lost my shit because I spent 10 seconds each time to re-post that thinking it would be an amazing experience for an Expat girl and instead I got banned outright.

They didn't even gave me the chance to rejoin after I explained I really did it genuinely thinking I was doing the community a favor, but they wouldn't budge. I even involved another long standing member and acquaintance of mine but she just 'sorry, dude' me. I wasn't new to that group and after banning me, I requested they delete all my contributions. They didn't want to spend the time doing it and it got me even madder. I could no longer take advantage of the group but the group could still benefit of my long, articulated posts. It isn't right. This happened also on another Argentinian-run group.

After that, I stopped contributing thinking about the other members' benefit. I keep my membership to groups I may need in the future, but I have snoozed any notification and I just go there when I need them.

I also regularly delete my contributions to groups after 10 days. This way, if I get banned all of a sudden, I won't leave my contributions behind.

• There does seem to be more Americans on there. As they can talk the hind legs off a donkey that may explain why it's a busier forum.

It's a busier forum for numerous reasons, almost all of them unrelated to quality. It has been around for years and it does have a ton of information about living in Argentina, if you can wade through the arguments. That's why many "members" over there are people who have posted just a couple of times, getting the answers to their questions before moving on. I still post there because I live in Argentina, generally like discussing the place I live (good and bad) and there are simply more topics there. Still, i guess my post count on here in recent months is higher than it is there.

• It's a busier forum for numerous reasons, almost all of them unrelated to quality. It has been around for years and it does have a ton of information about living in Argentina, if you can wade through the arguments. That's why many "members" over there are people who have posted just a couple of times, getting the answers to their questions before moving on. I still post there because I live in Argentina, generally like discussing the place I live (good and bad) and there are simply more topics there. Still, i guess my post count on here in recent months is higher than it is there.

Nature of the forum beast I suppose. Other forums I post to contain a core group of regulars, some who pop-in when they can be arsed and many others who start a thread get the answer they were looking for and are never seen again.

As for moderators. I often wonder if some of those who offer to do it have some sort of mental problem?

• Helpful

How many forums or FB groups do you belong to?& 3

1. 5+ (2) 0%
    2. 2-3 (0) 0%
    3. 1 (1) 0%

On BaExpats, the shadowy moderators arbitrarily censor posts or entire threads. Control freaks, working for the ultimate control freak, the admin, who seemed to enjoy sending pm’s to admonish offenders.

• Official Post

Your ''egomaniacs'' comment sums it up rather well. ^^ A few are okay but I have found most to be very strange individuals.

I have come across some members of the other forums and they were nuts. Like, in the real sense... because at first you don't realize, but with time they reveal they are not in a sane state of mind. When you meet people in person, it doesn't take more than 2-3 sentences to get it. In writing, it may take months.

They are often bragging about their varied experience in work and life throughout the world, and are in full denials about their own modesty and failures. A big red flag for me... and I steer clear of them as much as possible.

• On BaExpats, the shadowy moderators arbitrarily censor posts or entire threads. Control freaks, working for the ultimate control freak, the admin, who seemed to enjoy sending pm’s to admonish offenders.

I was active there for a while and must admit, personally speaking, don't recall the Moderation being too much of a problem. What pissed off me most were the number of members who did most of the posting didn't even live here. That was when I stopped posting.

As for FB what is that?

• I have come across some members of the other forums and they were nuts. Like, in the real sense... because at first you don't realize, but with time they reveal they are not in a sane state of mind. When you meet people in person, it doesn't take more than 2-3 sentences to get it. In writing, it may take months.

They are often bragging about their varied experience in work and life throughout the world, and are in full denials about their own modesty and failures. A big red flag for me... and I steer clear of them as much as possible.

Indeed....I suspect those who moderate are the nuttiest. I don't take real life anywhere near as serious as they take their moderating duties.

Facebook.

I rarely use it...in fact I'm getting to an age when my friends begin to think I've snuffed it when they haven't seen any activity on my page for several weeks. ^^

Edited once, last by UK Man: Merged a post created by UK Man into this post. ().

• I too never found the moderation to be bad. Certainly, I never had any content moderated and don’t recall seeing anybody else. My main reason for posting less there was Bajo. More specifically how any thread he was active in descended into chaos. I am a frequent flyer on Reddit and have delved into 4chan so the other forum was nothing compared to them. some Reddit’s have extreme rules and some 4chan threads will make your eyes bleed.