Are the current protests going too far?

There are 119 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,595 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

Watching the scenes in the recent UK protests, in sympathy with the George Floyd US protests, I can't help thinking that the protesters, most of whom were white by the way, have gone much too far. Burning the Union Jack, tearing down statues of 19th century slave traders and defacing other monuments, including Winston Churchill's outside the Palace of Westminster, are simply acts of vandalism. Each perpetrator should have been charged accordingly, but the police have decided to handle the situation with a soft glove approach, which only justifies the vandalism.

Further, many older TV programs are now being axed from Netflix and others because they don't comply with today's 2020 political correctness. This is the thin edge of the wedge, where we can no longer tolerate parody, satire and other risque humour which eventually will bring us all down to the level of the snowflakes who preach this bullshit.

This should be a worrying trend for everyone, including the now trendy gender friendly language being used to further political goals.

And let's not forget that in the UK there are Muslim-only schools, black history months and numerous other organisations that, if they were renamed as white-only would cause a furore. I'm not racist at all, but surely it's about time some common sense prevailed and that we recognised our history for what it is instead of wanting to simply erase it?

• Splinter ...... I dont wanna tear anything up, but I think u put it, how I should have put it.......!

But as GlasgowJohn saids, (which is true), I paint with a wide brush.

My question is just this: are u against the protests now, because they come closer????

• All those things you mentioned Splinter are not protests. They are bullying and in many cases crime. The idea behind the protests didn’t go to far but the opportunistic groups (from both sides) jumped on it and took it to far. What I find funny is many supporters of the initial protests (of which I am one) have bought it hook line and sinker that these people are acting on their behalf with their best interests in mind.

You are telling me the lines and lines of white people preparing to pull down statues and remove tv shows from existence really give two shits about black lives? They care about themselves and in some cases their own pointless guilt. And it is pointless guilt because building bridges to race equality does not move forward by a 22 year old pretending they feel bad about what happened in the past.

We can only learn from mistake if we remember them, not try to erase them from history. By the way, I am not necessarily talking about statues because some of those figures are problematic. However, removing tv shows does nothing. Anyone looking back 20 years will be shocked by some of their beliefs. Denying it is not the answer.

I am oriented politically on the left but I hate what it has become. It’s eating itself and while it’s playing the blame game the people I think are enemies are the ones taking power. So yeah, keep cancelling people on Twitter liberals and think you have won, while the real winner has been sitting in the White House for 3 years laughing at you.

• Rice ........the racism talk has totally gone into bobolandia.......

Its used as an absolute blabla word....

Anyone is a part racist, even without knowing.....It's such a bullshit when people really try to convince other that they are totally without any prejudice.

Actually all the equality show all around is backfirering.....

Actually I believe someone being straight forward is much more honest.....not blablablaing around like a saint.

The racism is in everyones body, just like anyone would distinguish a difference between a man and a woman.....(without putting any value into it).

People that believe they can trick their subconsciousness are ignorant.....

Look at how your body react when u r about to fall for example......even in drunk condition.....the body reacts in a certain way, pulling out arms in split seconds....

U cannot manipulate that.

What u can is, u can try by awareness to try and compensate with ur actions and how u threat people. I know you won't believe it, but nobody have ever accused me seriously of being a racist.....

I have a very good friend, John, he is from Amsterdam, working in a gay nightclub there.......exact same character as me....

What that guy see each evening, u don't have a clue! And loads of his friends are quite diverse, I can tell u.....in color, size, believe, sexual orientation etc. But he never get into any talks or discrimination because of that, or do his job in a different way, (he is bouncer). Anyhow, the guy is a dear friend if mine, so of course we talk freely between us.

My argument is this: (u will say I'm drunk, but I'm not), you can make a "racial" comment without being racist.

Just like u can say white trailer trash behave in a certain way.....that is also a generalization, but with truth in it.

Or call someone a NRA hillbilly.....which would also hold a peace of truth.

So before starting to work on being anti-racist, I think is important not to fiddle around in the soup to pretend this and that.

• Official Post

Splinter ...... I dont wanna tear anything up, but I think u put it, how I should have put it.......!

But as GlasgowJohn saids, (which is true), I paint with a wide brush.

My question is just this: are u against the protests now, because they come closer????

I'm not against the protests per se because the message is finally getting across to the people that run the police forces in the USA. And let's not forget that this is primarily a US problem, has been for decades and probably will be for for decades to come. It's in the DNA.

But when I see herds of white British youngsters behaving like sheep and then causing destruction, I have to ask why are they doing it? Especially when they imagine that their actions will have some effect in a country thousands of miles away that has racist police entrenched in the system who are actually trained to kill.

• I think the police in the UK should be questioned and many have become increasingly forceful in their job. However, the policing in the UK remains vastly different to that in the US and the fact rioters in the UK are treating police in the same way is shameful. It highlights to me these people are simply jumping on a bandwagon. Again, that's not to say police in the UK should not be questioned, but they are not the enemy in this debate. They are victims by association as far as a I can see.

• This is shameful defacing of statues that have nothing to do with slavery, brutality against black people, or any of the other related issues. The vandals used protests against real problems to commit crimes of opportunism.

It particularly makes me sick to see the posthumous slander of Winston Churchill, without whose steadfast courage either the perpetrators would be speaking German or possibly their parents would never have been conceived.

• hahahaha..........

I think everyone should be entitled to show opinion and demonstrate peaceful.....

GB is up for a hot summer according to many news media.....

• Official Post

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984

• I find it beautiful what is happening right now in USA......crowds of police officers resigning their jobs!

Why stand in front line with a bad salary, high chance of getting shot or criminal prosecuted for serving the country!

The people can soon enjoy a police free society without any discrimination or police killing of innocent black people, just because they are black.

Or maybe u should force the police to work.....

You got what u wanted, now move on and enjoy and don't whine please.....

• Excellent Splinter. Spot on.

Another thing that boils my piss is this taking a knee thing. I know why people do it and I support their absolute right to do so. However, people who refuse to take the knee are instantly branded racists. In the football last night, players took the knee. Fine, but imagine just one had decided not to. That guy's life would be over today.

I refuse to take a knee in this context for any man or woman in any circumstance and for any reason. I don't care their colour, position, or sex. I don't need to be on my knees to support the causes.

• I find it beautiful what is happening right now in USA......crowds of police officers resigning their jobs!

Why stand in front line with a bad salary, high chance of getting shot or criminal prosecuted for serving the country!

The people can soon enjoy a police free society without any discrimination or police killing of innocent black people, just because they are black.

Or maybe u should force the police to work.....

You got what u wanted, now move on and enjoy and don't whine!

• Official Post

Excellent Splinter. Spot on.

Another thing that boils my piss is this taking a knee thing. I know why people do it and I support their absolute right to do so. However, people who refuse to take the knee are instantly branded racists. In the football last night, players took the knee. Fine, but imagine just one had decided not to. That guy's life would be over today.

I refuse to take a knee in this context for any man or woman in any circumstance and for any reason. I don't care their colour, position, or sex. I don't need to be on my knees to support the causes.

I agree completely because it's now become reverse discrimination. I support the rights of black people not to be discriminated against, but I'm not going to change my Facebook photo to a black circle, take the knee publicly or roam around with a banner just so that others can see me doing it.