Police shootings and general behaviour in the USA

There are 138 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 21,840 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Blacks and hispanics commit the most crimes in the United States is a fact. However, violenet crime is associated with poverty and more blacks and hispanics are in poverty than whites. It's a viscous circle that the country has struggled for decades to get out of. It's systemic to its core and until the economic problems are addressed the criminal ones will almost certainly remain.

It's the same as protests here. Many people probably have the right intentions, whether you disagree or not. You have that percentage that hijack them with something to gain. That does not remove the legitimacy of this protest though. There were protests in the UK because of it, no riots. I 100% support the idea of the protest in the United States, but cannot support the result.

In the end, this was a case of polic brutality and it's cut and dry. What difference does it make what the man had done. Even if he had just murdered 15 children, there was no need for the cop to kill him because the situation was under control.

I understand @JAN is on the opposite side of the debate to many of us and differing points of view are valuable, it's the classic left vs. right that has divided the USA. However, we should all be able to agree there was no reason for that death to happen.

• I have bad news: racism will not get less after this!

I'm an addict to news......so I actually watch quite a bit, from all around!

I encourage everyone to do the same and afterwards draw their own conclusions!

Why is America racist? watch the news!!!!

• There is news and “news.” All, as they say, are entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts. Some news organizations that look legitimate cross over that line.

Look any news channel u like, left, right , middle , chinese or whatever.....

Paint a pretty good picture I think....

I think I don't need to paint it out for u!!!

• Interesting thread, Europeans having opinions about racism in American are as precise as an American outlook on , for instance, bloody sunday. or the independence of Scotland . As well meant as it might be, we would not know what we are talking about.

And remember , by the time you get the news, they have been cleansed for mass consumption and this includes Americans too. So i don't rush into judgement or quick conclusions , we are fed whatever the news industry see fit for their advantage and the proof shows when you watch the same news from different channels with their different agendas.

BTW i do not condone police brutality , neither i condone riots

• Interesting thread, Europeans having opinions about racism in American are as precise as an American outlook on , for instance, bloody sunday. or the independence of Scotland . As well meant as it might be, we would not know what we are talking about.

And remember , by the time you get the news, they have been cleansed for mass consumption and this includes Americans too. So i don't rush into judgement or quick conclusions , we are fed whatever the news industry see fit for their advantage and the proof shows when you watch the same news from different channels with their different agendas.

BTW i do not condone police brutality , neither i condone riots

Spot on!! :thumbup:

• Trump has now put Antifa, the anti-fascist hard left group, on a list of terrorist groups which will presumably give the police license to kill on sight.
    What is Antifa?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programm…need-to-know-about-antifa

With all the groups known to US intelligence in this drama/tragedy, does anyone else find it strange that he is singling out this ONE (and only one) group to designate as a “Terrorist Organization ?” I am neither supporting nor accusing Antifa, but pointing out that a variety of right wing extremist groups spring to mind as being on the same level. So don’t we need to question why the spotlight on this left wing extremist group?

Legal note: The president of the United States has no legal authority to name ANY domestic group as a Terrorist Organization

• absolute crazy.....who will help grandmas cross the streets if antifa gets classified that way.....

I always thought antifa was a world wide bridge club....

Why on Earth not? You really believe someone in the United States could not study and learn about Bloody Sunday and inform intelligent opinions on it? That's all anybody in the UK would be doing, and in fact anybody in Ireland too at this point. I cannot have an opinion about Ancient Greece because I am not Greek?

• actually I think many times outsiders can give a better picture of stuff, since they do not have a political agenda about what they study or a personal emotional relation to the happenings.

In my own case, I did not know anything profound about Argentina before I started coming here 2007.....I only knew the very basics. After I start coming here, I started also researching history of the country and interest me for the politics and how it was run. Actually I remember when cfk was elected, I was living in Holland....I sent a mail to an American girlfriend of mine, saying, a new Evita is born, (not sarcastic, sincerely and positive). She responded quite negative and said it had a bad smell. Damn was she right. At that point I had no opinion whatsoever on good/bad people from here.....no bias whatsoever.

An Argentine would have a sentiment from day one, either good or bad!

So, therefore I agree with you a bit on the way Semigoodlooking ......

• hahaha.....

Yea it was my girlfriend, but on a distance girlfriend for some years....so one you only see say 4 times a year.....

I could live very well with the lifestyle of James Bond serafina hahaha

• This article about Minnesota was in the NYT this morning. Although not strictly on-topic for this thread, it gives background that is helpful in understanding the economic forms racial bias can take.

Minnesota’s Twin Cities metro area has one of the country’s highest standards of living by many measures: high incomes, long life expectancy, a large number of corporate headquarters and a rich cultural scene.

But these headline statistics hide a problem: The Twin Cities also have some of the largest racial inequities in the U.S.

Incomes for white families are similar to those in other affluent metro areas, like Atlanta and Los Angeles. Incomes for black families are close to those in poorer regions like Cleveland and New Orleans:

01the-morning-minneapolis-chart-articleLarge.png
    By The New York Times

Samuel L. Myers Jr., an economist at the University of Minnesota, has named this combination “the Minnesota paradox.” Because the area is predominantly white, the racial gaps can get lost in the overall numbers.

Now, these inequities have captured the nation’s attention, after the killing of George Floyd by the Minneapolis police sparked nationwide protests. Several other recent high-profile police killings have also taken place in the region.

Why does the Twin Cities have especially deep racial problems? The region is in many ways a microcosm of the country, albeit a more extreme one. Decades of government policy and private-sector decisions have given benefits to white families that black families haven’t received. (A new article by John Eligon and Julie Bosman goes into more detail.)

When the region built an interstate highway in the 1950s, it spared white neighborhoods but tore up a black neighborhood, in the eastern part of the Rondo area in St. Paul, that was “rich with institutions, like churches, social centers, and clubs,” as Quartz reported.

Working-class white families were able to buy their first homes in the mid-20th century — and start building wealth — with help from federal loan programs that excluded black families, as Richard Rothstein explains in his book “The Color of Law.” More recently, banks have been more likely to turn down black loan applicants, Myers found, even after controlling for income and credit risk.

Consider this recent stat: About 76 percent of Twin Cities households headed by a white person own their home, compared with 24 percent of black households.

“We so want to believe we are not racist,” Doug Hartmann, chairman of the University of Minnesota sociology department, has told The Star Tribune, “we don’t even see the way that race still matters.”

• I read yesterday that 85% of the rioters arrested in Cincinnati was not Minnesota residents!!!! Not that it matters of course!!!