The general rant.....

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,167 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• just a broad spectrum of why things are like this and that......(this is not a Trump thread pleeeease).

On a daily basis I come across things I just don't get why they haven't been perfected......one thing that annoys me like 10-100 times a day: the missing scroll wheel on a smartphone......in the kitchen when cooking, wanting to scroll recipe, on the bike with gloves on, with wet or dirty hands and and and.......is it so fucking difficult adding a freaking wheel on the side to scroll WITHOUT touching screen? Or is it only me that miss that feature?

Second thing. Have never understood, (I know we are past that time, but ok, I still use and 30 years it was used): the shitty CD covers......think out of maybe thousand CDs I only have a few not broken......! How can it be the CD cover never evolved to a more refined type?

Then the small stupid things: the last two toasters I got, had the cable coming out from front, same side as the controls....what's the point? Am I the only one having the electrical plugs on the backwall and not front of toaster? Just don't get it!

Last one.....toothpaste......isn't it time for a toothpaste tube that doesn't dry on top and that doesn't leave 10-20% inside after its "empty" ????

We can send men to the moon, (if it wasn't a hoax hahaha) and and and......but these daily small things no one haven't addressed, as far as I know.....

• The smartphone thing goes againt the ethos of the touchscreen model. Around 15 years ago, the industry made a move towards screens being the hub of interaction. This was largely driven by Steve Jobs and the original iPhone. It caught on and smartphone manufacturers moved in that direction. Android arrived and was touch friendly and so that cemented the removal of physical keys.

As touchscreens because more adept, companies have increasinly sought to remove buttons. In other words, smartphone manufacturers will continue to push for more buttons to be removed. If they could do it in a useful way, they would have already removed the power button and volume. That will eventually happen, unless there is some hardware shift that reshapes the market.

Manufacturers believe the screen can accomplish all the things you need. I mean, in terms of a scroll the screen itself is essentially a virtual scroll wheel anyway. There's no way a smartphone manufacturer will build a physical single-function scroll wheel these days. I am not even sure it will solve your problem either because it probably wouldn't be a single-hand movement (your thumb would create a stopping point in single hand use).

However, and probably most importantly, smartphone manufacturers are clearly not very interested in putting usability first. If they were, they would not be building massive devices that cannot be used functionally with one hand.

• Official Post

However, and probably most importantly, smartphone manufacturers are clearly not very interested in putting usability first. If they were, they would not be building massive devices that cannot be used functionally with one hand.

With the iphone you can edit the keyboard to type on it using either hand.

My rant is that the damn thing cannot recognize the language I am typing in automatically, and I keep switching across 4 keyboards all the time. Which is why I usually type from computer and read/watch from iPhone or iPad

onehanded-header-750x400.jpg

• With the iphone you can edit the keyboard to type on it using either hand.

My rant is that the damn thing cannot recognize the language I am typing in automatically, and I keep switching across 4 keyboards all the time. Which is why I usually type from computer and read/watch from iPhone or iPad

onehanded-header-750x400.jpg

Yes, and Samsung has features that shrink the screen or give your smaller window-in-window. However, these are tricks to get around the fact that you cannot use these devices properly in one hand. Let's look at the photo above. Without having to reposition the phone in the hand (which is risking a drop one-handed), how does that woman reach the volume buttons?

In the early days of the smartphone, you had two choices; touchscreens like the iPhone and early Android devices and then touch/keyboard hybrids like BlackBerry Bold and the Nokie E-70. The keyboard/touchscreen hybrids remain the most usuable devices ever (use a BlackBerry Key 2, their latest smartphone, it's so easy). However, those early touchscreen smartphones were also easy to use because of how small they were.

By the way, the thing I value most in a smartphone after performance is design. In other words, I happily make the compromise of a less usable device because I think many of the flagships look great. I am not alone, which is why smartphone manufacturers are not making smaller devices.

• Official Post

My best phone ever was a Blackberry Torch 9800. I could type on it without even looking, I could type and walk looking at the street. Its design was sleek, the sliding mechanism was sturdy and classy, the OS was working great. I had to change it because Blackberry OS did not support modern apps.

When my dad decided to buy a smartphone, he asked me for suggestion and I told him to buy a Blackberry Z10, which was the top model back then, with no keyboard because he couldn't hit the small keys with his big fingers anyway. It was painful to use. Windows 8 graphic like, not intuitive at all, not good as an Android phone. Sturdy, heavy. It lasted way too long. He has now bought an iPhone 11, but he uses it only for calls and check mail. He never managed to use a smartphone.

blackberry-torch-9800.jpg celular-blackberry-z10-bb-movsitar-blackberry-z10-impecable-D_NQ_NP_647248-MLA31577696983_072019-F.webp

• serafina was my next phone rant:

By WhatsApp, I need manually constantly to change languages between the 4 I use, Danish, English, German, Spanish. Even that I use same language always in each chat.....so annoying.....how difficult it is to make software that remember each chat setting?????

When I use language recognition, it always fucks it up......does not recognize whole thread as one language but each word.....so impossible to use.

Semigoodlooking in regard to the industry and their intention to skip all bottoms, I get it......but I doubt I'm the only one annoyed about the missing scroll function......jus totally not user friendly!

As u also say, many phones really not user friendly at all.....unless u r a architect sitting in an clean office, with a docking station and chair for ur iPad sized telephone!

Let's be honest....

We use the telephone in other situations as just now, home in bed or sofa....

My next phone when I win in lottery will be a caterpillar phone I guess.....very ruff, for outdoor use......a little like the old Nokia's u could throw around.

And what the fuck is do difficult in making plugs for charging and connection, that only enters ONE way, in a very obvious way......Donno how many plugs/phones I have damaged in the dark or/and when drunk, trying to put the charger in. Also my daughter wasted a few.

Could be a round, triangular or whatever.....just one that doesn't enter a little the wrong way and then fucks up the plug .........

• serafina - Yeah, BlackBerry found itself shut out when the touchscreen market took off. The company had built itself on the physical keyboard and consumers suddenly didn't want them. In a move to save itself, BlackBerry obvioulsy decided to do touchscreen phones too. I think the Z10 was the first and at the time the company's proprietory OS was on its knees too. If your father was using a physical keyboard at that time, it would have been the Q10 I think because the Z10 was just touchscreen.

BlackBerry was later sold and is now built under license by Chinese brand TCL. However, the company returned to form with the KeyOne and then perfected it with the Key2. Probably the most user-friendly smartphones on the market. You get the physcial keyboard and touch screen. It's a long device to extending your fingers to the touchscreen above the keyboard is not easy. To over come this, BlackBerry also implemented a touch panel beneath the keyboard so the whole physcial dech is also a touch mouse. I love that phone, but chose not to buy it.

• Official Post

serafina - Yeah, BlackBerry found itself shut out when the touchscreen market took off. The company had built itself on the physical keyboard and consumers suddenly didn't want them. In a move to save itself, BlackBerry obvioulsy decided to do touchscreen phones too. I think the Z10 was the first and at the time the company's proprietory OS was on its knees too. If your father was using a physical keyboard at that time, it would have been the Q10 I think because the Z10 was just touchscreen.

BlackBerry was later sold and is now built under license by Chinese brand TCL. However, the company returned to form with the KeyOne and then perfected it with the Key2. Probably the most user-friendly smartphones on the market. You get the physcial keyboard and touch screen. It's a long device to extending your fingers to the touchscreen above the keyboard is not easy. To over come this, BlackBerry also implemented a touch panel beneath the keyboard so the whole physcial dech is also a touch mouse. I love that phone, but chose not to buy it.

He bought the Z10 which had no physical keyboard because he couldn’t use it anyway. He tried my Torch 9800 and one of his finger hit 2-3 keys at once!

I think the Z10 was their first all-touch and it was top of the line. But it was painful. I felt guilty for years because the poor man spent a fortune (I think €700+) on a phone which was worse than an iPhone, which costed the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk