The booze/boozers thread.

There are 565 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 40,979 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• its so tragic what is happening...... imagine the gazillion new beer places that have popped up over the years......gonna drop dead as flies I guess........but.....many are offering/ begging for purchases for the future......I see on Facebook all the local breweries I'm following, nearly all offer 2:1 or even 3:1 on purchases for the future, pay now, drink when, and if the pub opens again!!!!!

So for a big mathematician like me, I need to make this calculation:

Risk of total loss, risk, or say certainty of a serious drop in the peso rate.....

So say u buy a beer and get two for 100 pesos, that's 1 USD.......50 cent each......it's a good deal....but considered half will close and the peso will solve the toilet paper shortage, I doubt it's a good investment!

But besides that, it is a way to support your local brewery in the hard times, which of course is a good thing.......I just myself cannot see so far as supporting others at the moment, with the uncertainty of my own future income!

Let's see......

• Some shops are now selling 1litre bottles of beer for less than 50 pesos. About time the retail trade got a kick up the backside. :thumbup:

Im sorry to disappoint u..... this is a double-edged sword......might seem good, but at the end we will all end up paying in one way or another......

U saw it with ur rentals, I see it with mine....... everyone gonna get fokked one way or another.....one more than another, but no one will escape.....

• Im sorry to disappoint u..... this is a double-edged sword......might seem good, but at the end we will all end up paying in one way or another......

U saw it with ur rentals, I see it with mine....... everyone gonna get fokked one way or another.....one more than another, but no one will escape.....

Survival of the fittest....if the shops don't pay we can tell them to F OFF!

• Are you talking about breweries or bars?

Some of them are asking you to pay now and get drinks if they re-open?

• Official Post

Are you talking about breweries or bars?

Some of them are asking you to pay now and get drinks if they re-open?

I have seen this also in cafes. You are asked to buy, let's say, 200 pesos worth of coffee to help the business stay afloat while closed. To grab your attention they offer the coffee at a discounted price compared to the current regular price.

Let's say that the regular cost of a specialty coffee was 100 pesos just before the quarantine (March). The coffee places says you can buy 4 coffees for 200 pesos today, for coffee available to drink once the quarantine is lifted.

I see several issues with this:

1) You don't know when the quarantine will be lifted, it could be 2 weeks, 2 months or 6 months.

2) You don't know when coffee and restaurants, which are crowded places, will be able to open to the public again.

3) You don't know if people will be eager to go back to coffee and restaurants, anyway. I for one wouldn't swarm places the day Tío Alberto says it's over.

4) If you are underselling today, with the current inflation plus coronavirus crisis plus technical default, there is no way to know how much you need to live for the next X months, nor to reopen shop in X months.

5) People buying 4 coffee today, means it's 4 less coffee you will be selling when the quarantine will be lifted. I love coffee, but I am not going twice as much to a coffee place only becauseI have bought 4 coffees in advance. So how will you maintain your shop in June, when you are making coffee but not getting 1.5x or 2x pesos to live in June? The 200 pesos you got in April are already spent in April, and in June you are likely to need 1.5x or 2x pesos to live.

• Excellent. Add to the list that the place may never open again and the fact that consumers with their own economic problems probably don't want to save a cup of coffee for a rainy day.

It's interesting and speaks of the desperate situation some business find themselves in. I am sure many small business owners don't want to be doing what is essentially professional begging. I feel sorry for them.

• just went to carrefour for whiskey stock.....

Second bottle, 80% off......it ends up with being 725 pesos for a bottle of Jameson, equal to 6 Euro, western union price! Same bottle is 20 euros in Germany!!!!

Yihaaaa!

:banana-with-kilt-smiley-emoticon: