Spending summer in Argentina

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,295 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Official Post

After rows of summers in Mar del Plata in a family apartment, it looks like this year we are either Palermo-bound or we find a different place to go.

I fancy this idea of spending the whole summer - 3 months (Dec to March) somewhere else, to leave behind Buenos Aires hot climate. I am not much of a beach animal, but I'd like a change of scenery.

We have a car, but it is 20 years old and we cannot venture too much. We also have a well behaved cat to take with us. And I need internet connection to work.

I liked the calmness of Lago Argentino in El Calafate, but it is very far and very small and I am afraid we will get bored soon. I also loved the many lakes around Bariloche, and the animals in Chubut. One option could be Sierra Cordobesa, which is a popular summer spot. This is the most likely choice for us, since we can go there through a well beaten road (in case the car breaks down).

If we were to go south, I wonder if we can ship the car, instead of driving all the way. We can do CABA - Mar del Plata by car, but since we travel with a cat, we cannot spend 12 hours on the road or to be stranded on the Ruta for hours.

If anybody has any suggestion, feel free to post.

• It is not the Italian Alps, of course, but the Cordoba hills are a reliable, non expensive alternative.

Your shall spend 8 hours of travel in a highway, and then you have many paved and unpaved roads to arrive to charming places, although non spectacular.

I recommend La Cumbre, a nice resort founded by British tourists in the 1920's, still not crowded.

Try to avoid popular places like Villa Carlos Paz. It is difficult to park a car and also the people who likes being there are very rought and ordinary.

Cordoba has many rivers with clear, transparent water that you may reach there in an easy way.

• Sorry to say but I really have no desire to travel to anywhere in Argentina for a holiday. My wife feels the same....it's Europe or nothing for us. We were going to go to the UK this year but when family in Scotland decided to come in November we cancelled.

• Official Post

Carlos, thank you for your recommendations. I will tell my husband to start scouting rentals.

UK Man, I wouldn't call it a holiday. I work remotely and I plan on working remotely while we are away, just like I did in Mar del Plata.

I can take 1-2 hour off to sunbathe or go out grocery shopping, but I don't want to stay off the grid for 7 days for a traditional beach holiday.

I'd rather stay for a longer period of time, working, and doing daily trips.

I'd like to do it in Europe, but with Serafina it is not an option! Although we have done trips to Mar del Plata in the combi (when we did not have a car) that lasted more than a flight to Europe and she managed it very well in her carrier on my lap.

• I'd like to do it in Europe, but with Serafina it is not an option! Although we have done trips to Mar del Plata in the combi (when we did not have a car) that lasted more than a flight to Europe and she managed it very well in her carrier on my lap.

We have the same problem with our pets. Too many of them!!

• If you are staying a couple of days in Buenos Aires don't miss the opportunity to spend a night in the countryside near BA to watch a fast paced polo match under the stars, with great food and wine. My reco will go to argentinapolonight.com :098:

• You make yourself sound overweight, which you definitely are not, serafina . Maybe you’re not comfortable riding horses because it’s scary to think about the fact that you aren’t being thrown off and trampled ONLY because they choose to allow you to ride?