What's for lunch/dinner today?

There are 933 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 106,911 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Sounds wonderful. We’re coming back to BsAs in 3 days, so tonight we had farewell Louisiana food: soft shell crab with lots of slivered almonds and butter on top; grilled oysters & shrimp; and good California wine. But we are missing our delicious Argentina wine and beef. Eager to be back!

• Sounds wonderful. We’re coming back to BsAs in 3 days, so tonight we had farewell Louisiana food: soft shell crab with lots of slivered almonds and butter on top; grilled oysters & shrimp; and good California wine. But we are missing our delicious Argentina wine and beef. Eager to be back!

Do you spend your year living between the US and Argentina Rice? I can see us doing something like that in the future.

Having some of my homemade greek style yoghurt this morning drizzled with local honey....delicious. Got the making of it down to a fine art now.

• Official Post

Sounds wonderful. We’re coming back to BsAs in 3 days, so tonight we had farewell Louisiana food: soft shell crab with lots of slivered almonds and butter on top; grilled oysters & shrimp; and good California wine. But we are missing our delicious Argentina wine and beef. Eager to be back!

I'll prep the welcome committee.

:mexican:

• Do you spend your year living between the US and Argentina Rice? I can see us doing something like that in the future.

Having some of my homemade greek style yoghurt this morning drizzled with local honey....delicious. Got the making of it down to a fine art now.

We do. Unfortunately more time in the US than Argentina each year because we don’t work when in Argentina and try to catch up when in the US. When we leave Argentina, we always feel as if it will be an eternity with life suspended until we get back. Now counting down our last 48 hours.

Your Greek style yogurt sounds divine. We had commercially prepared yogurt for breakfast today, to try to cushion our arteries from lunch, which was flame-grilled oysters, crabmeat au gratin, and layered eggplant slices and shrimp in a tomato cream sauce.

• Must admit that lifestyle would suit me just fine although the travelling might be a pain in the backside. Would be a good way to gauge the advantages/disadvantages of living here compared to the UK nowadays without fully committing to a permanent move back.

Dinner tonight will be breadcrumbed merluza fried with chips. The wife told me she heard there's a new fish shop opened and they get fresh fish delivered every Tuesdays and Thursday....I'll be giving it a try.

• im on the BBQ myself too......great day for asado....... question is just on which type of grill.......I normally use the traditional Argentinian way of grilling, but sometimes I like to use the weber or a cross. In Scandinavian countries normally you use the weber grill......I think in usa it's also one of the preferred ways to BBQ, or?

I was never a big weber fan or user, but last couple of years I have started to use it now and then to facilitate and to get a slightly smoked taste.

I actually went so far that I bought the small weber smokey Joe for my daughter yesterday......she will go crazy when she see it hahaha.

So, my question out there: which type of parilla you use normally and cooking methods. (I'm a slow cooker........)

UK Man for sure is also putting the back on low heat I guess or?

• Official Post

I'd like to try a Weber or similar just to see what the smokey aspect tastes like. For the moment, since we have a tiny area at the back, it a parrilla with wheels that I recently refurbished.

And for the mega cook, as seen at the Don Bosco car boot sale recently.

• great!!!

But really, there is as many ways to BBQ as there are people in the world...... interesting to explore different ways to do it.

Lately I have been doing the weber thing, because of the bad weather last week also.....much easier to BBQ that way.

I do it slow n low heat......gets really nice juicy in the weber if u keep heat down.

Anyway, after a while I get tired of the smoked taste......what I then fo is a mix of normal argi BBQ and weber.....I light fire up in normal grill, then place the weber dome slightly tilted on top, not closed, just to keep heat around the meat on the top also. That is one of my preferred ways of doing it. Slow, low temp asado n entrana is just killing.......I give the entrana full power a few min each side, then I put it totally aside and just let it cook by the hot air circulating around whole grill......so super super low heat....an hour or 1,5, and it's falling apart nearly but still nice reddish in color inside......

• So, my question out there: which type of parilla you use normally and cooking methods. (I'm a slow cooker........)

UK Man for sure is also putting the back on low heat I guess or?

I just use the traditional method here at home as well as out in the countryside. We're fortunate to have and endless supply of wood right enough. In fact it's the only way I know. I never made BBQ in the UK as we lived in a flat.

Had the vacio and although we enjoyed we agreed we've had it more tender. We know the family who has the butcher and they also have feed lots....say no more.

• UK Man .....yea with the vacio u can sometimes get one a little more chewy......

I don't make it that often.....

My asado is still to come......first a few pints and them my body is set :D

I like to experiment with meat... Sometimes I buy totally new cuts just to test it out on the grill.... also to try and save some money and use cheaper cuts sometimes. I lately been making my asado as normal and then when I'm done, I put on some cheap cuts and let them slow cook with rest of heat, hours....... Espinaza f.ex. or pork bones, some hours by minimum heat get incredible......and they are like 60-100 pesos a kilo.

It's seems like I will never get tired of meat...... actually meat and wine was my top priorities for moving to Argentina 10 years ago.....and I'm still thankful for that I made that choice. And ok, the entertainment value here is top notch as I always say hahaha

• I can't think of anything in the food or drink department I'd miss if I left here. I'd miss the weather most of all.

Whaaaaaat......?

U wouldn't miss the meat n the wine????

No way I could afford my meat n wine lifestyle in Europe.....

As a northern European, the climate here is rather heavy for me...... actually it's one of the things I miss most from Scandinavia....some biting freezing cold and snow......!

Actually when the summer comes to an end here, I'm happy....

I was never really a Caribbean beach type......I think one of the places in the world that fits me most is Vienna......

Lived there back in the '90 and really adored the place. Actually now it's number one country in the world regarding life quality.....I totally agree on that!

• I know people whose first choice of meat is entraña, a preference I’ve never quite understood because I’ve never had any that wasn’t too chewy. It never occurred to me that it could actually be tender until I read your comment, UK Man.

On the rare occasion that we grill, we use a ceramic grill whose complexity we haven’t yet mastered, though it is known to produce delicious smoked meats - for more accomplished grillers. Our repertoire pretty much stops after bife de lomo, spatchcoked chicken, mixed vegetables and, of course, pizza.

• Official Post

I know people whose first choice of meat is entraña, a preference I’ve never quite understood because I’ve never had any that wasn’t too chewy. It never occurred to me that it could actually be tender until I read your comment, UK Man.

On the rare occasion that we grill, we use a ceramic grill whose complexity we haven’t yet mastered, though it is known to produce delicious smoked meats - for more accomplished grillers. Our repertoire pretty much stops after bife de lomo, spatchcoked chicken, mixed vegetables and, of course, pizza.

Entraña is one of my favorite cuts, but the last times I bought it, it was not very tender like I used to eat once in San Isidro. I guess my skillet skills cannot match those of a good asadero, but we don’t have a parrilla so there is no better option.

In general, I have found that if you cut properly your meat (I mean when you break it down to eat it), the experience can be more pleasant. For example, if you are eating a high steak, like bife de chorizo, do narrow cuts (roast-beef like, so to speak).
    Following the fibers and cutting small chunks makes you not having to chew too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk