Outstanding military figures

• What you may not know about David Niven, who enjoyed an exciting and very fulfilling life. I still need to get my hands on his two books, The Moon's A Balloon and Bring On The Empty Horses.

• I assume Germans are not allowed to post on this thread..... hahaha

If we had any Germans on the forum, I would recommend they watch Fawlty Towers first :)

David Niven was known as a thoroughly good man.

Am I remembering correctly that his wife was killed by a bomb during the war?

She died in an unfortunate party accident, apparently.

https://hjordisniven.com/primmie-niven/

• Splinter I think we grew up around same time......Fawlty towers, allo allo, Benny hill and those series was the ones that was showed in Denmark also at that time.....miss them a lot!!!!

And btw I'm German by heart! =O

Allo allo was great, it was taking the piss on the Germans 99% of the time......

• Thanks for posting that. I knew he was a war hero, but didn’t know the extent of his heroism or the emotional toll on him.

I can’t help thinking that our parents’ and grandparents’ generations had war forced upon them, while we seem to create our own problems.

• I found a tribute to this 20 year old soldier, Jose Sebire, from the Parachute Regiment who was killed in Normandy in 1944. His poem alone is incredibly moving.

Lest we forget.